Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning - how to offer milk instead?

Default Weaning - how to offer milk instead?

Hello,
    My DS is almost 12 months old and I'm trying to wean him off. He never took the bottle well, so during the day he drinks from a regular cup and I nurse him at night to sleep and in the early mornings if he wakes up. My main worry is that we are taking a trip without him in May, so I feel I need to have him weaned by then. However, he doesn't drink a lot of liquids from the cup (maybe 3 oz at most) nor the sippy (he bites on it and drink a little bit only).

Any suggestions on what I can offer him at bedtime and early mornings if I don't nurse him? Not sure how to give him milk at bedtime/morning time when he's sleepy, as it's hard to give him an open cup at these hours. I give him the paci, but seems to takes longer to get him to sleep.

He has always been picky/difficult eater. He eats solids although not a whole lot and it takes a long time to feed him a meal, so he's on the small side. Just worried that with the weaning, he won't get enough and won't gain any weight.

Any suggestions / tips? Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning - how to offer milk instead?

You could try warming it up...DD1 loved milk warmed up. But, if you are only nursing him right now twice a day, my guess is he will do just fine even if you continue to nurse him up to your trip. How long will you be away? Most babies by this age know that breastmilk comes from mama only anyway. If you would be happy continuing to nurse after your trip, I would just continue to do what you are doing.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Also...if your child IS going to sleep with a paci and you are OK with that and it WORKS...>run with it! OR...believe us when we tell you that after the year pointed your body can be trusted to make milk. So even if you go away for the weekend your then 14month old should be fine and probably want to nurse to reconnect when you are reunited. So if that is truly the reason you are weaning....I wouldn't worry!

Way too lazy for formula

I'm going to be away for a week. I'm worried if I continue to nurse him at night and early mornings, he'll be in shock and throw a fit when I'm away. When he woke up at 6am this morning, I tried just putting him back to sleep by giving the paci only. I also tried giving him warm milk in a bottle but he refused it. An hour later, he was still sleepy but not sleeping. I finally gave him and nursed him. He fell asleep almost immediately and slept soundly until almost 9am. I am clueless on how to wean him off this bedtime and early morning nursings.....

But he won't be in shock. Because he understands that milk comes for only YOU. So when you aren't there, he will have no expectation to be able to nurse.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    But he won't be in shock. Because he understands that milk comes for only YOU. So when you aren't there, he will have no expectation to be able to nurse.
    this is absolutely true. My son is 15 months and we're still nursing happily. On weekends, he nurses about 8 times day/night combined. When i'm working, it's only three or four. And he's fine. He's probably more relaxed on weekends when he knows he's got all access, but he's fine with not having me home. I don't leave him pumped milk anymore and he gets by. I don't think you should focus so much on weaning if you're only doing it because of the vacation. Your DS will be more sad that you're gone than he will be about not having your milk.

I would say don't try to hold him off from nursing by giving him a paci if what he reallly wants is some mama milk. It'll be harder on everyone. When I'm home with Max, he insists on being nursed to sleep. But when I'm not here, he does just fine with a story and his monkey and his blankie. If they know milk's available of course they're going to want it. But I think they think about it less when it's not there.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Also...I have been here a long time. And every EBF mother is worried about how her child will go to sleep with out her at night. But the answer is: the same way they they go to sleep for nap with a DCP. If you don't have this experience to compare it to because you are a SAHM...a child doesn't expect to nurse to sleep if their mother isn't there. That is part of YOUR relationship. So a child will still go to sleep when sleepy in the arms of someone else offering love and comfort. It may take longer, but it's not the same thing as YOU being there and refusing to nurse. This can be very frustrating for a child. They are confused. She is here, she knows what I want, why won't she give it to me?? But babies aren't usually mad at their Dad's or their Grandmas for not nursing them. They understand without you, the milk simply isn't available.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So a child will still go to sleep when sleepy in the arms of someone else offering love and comfort. It may take longer, but it's not the same thing as YOU being there and refusing to nurse. This can be very frustrating for a child. They are confused. She is here, she knows what I want, why won't she give it to me?? But babies aren't usually mad at their Dad's or their Grandmas for not nursing them. They understand without you, the milk simply isn't available.
    This has been my experience as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks all for the suggestions! We'll see how he does with music mom putting him to sleep.