Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a pump for a full time mommy.

Default Purchasing a pump for a full time mommy.

I've been researching pumps and i'm trying to decide if i should go with Medela In Style or FreeStyle. If you have any comments about either i would greatly appreciate the help. Or if you know of another pump that may work even better. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Purchasing a pump for a full time mommy.

I love bestbuybaby.com Very nice customer service, awesome prices.

My personal experience with the Freestyle is that it is louder than the PISA, and (for me) takes longer than the PISA to remove not as much milk. I had trouble w/ the soft fit shields it comes with - rubbed a raw place on one of my breasts.

Agree w/ PP that it is very portable, light, easy to set up. I've pumped in the car on the way home from work, which I would have trouble doing w/ my PISA. I've taken it to use when I'm away from my baby at outdoor concerts and things like that. The PISA battery adapter just doesn't provide enough power for me.

To be fair, I had a friend who EP'd for a while with only a FS. Not for longer than 6 mos or so, but she did it.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Look at pricing at www.bestbuybaby.com really good prices. I got my freestyle for the price that babies r us sells the PISA.

I had the freestyle and liked it for portability. It is so small and easy to pump on the go. I have never used the PISA, but I needed something that was easy to move around with.

The hands free attachments for the freestyle are a pain and not that great though. I suggest looking into a hands free bustier like Easy Expressions.
    I agree. I bought the hard breast shells and had a different hands free set up. The one that comes with it doesn't really work very well.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

i work full time and i love my hygeia enjoye. double electric pump with a hands free bustier.
    the only pump certified for multiple users so you can legally sell or donate it when you are finished using it.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*clarinetmommy6611 View Post
    I've been researching pumps and i'm trying to decide if i should go with Medela In Style or FreeStyle. If you have any comments about either i would greatly appreciate the help. Or if you know of another pump that may work even better. Thanks so much!
    I'm a 100% EBM feeder-I use both an Ameda Lactaline & a Medela Swing and combine them as if using a double pump. Why 2 different ones?? I have REALLY and I do mean REALLY sensitive nipples and so I need soft shields with effective pumps, and these are some of the only makes that have silicone shields that don't crack the living #*&@^ out of my nips...and...my nipples are 2 different sizes, one is larger than the other and naturally each company makes only ONE size of silicone shield...the lactaline would probably be more portable if I were using it as a dual pump, but the swing makes it ok because that IS very portable. Anyway, while I imagine my circumstance is probably more on the unusual side I would highly recommend the Lactaline as a dual pump. I've used a few different models and this is one of the higher rated ones on the market. You can buy one on eBay for pretty cheap and just get a brand new milk collection kit (which includes EVERYTHING else that you need sans the motor+mains) which will keep everything sterile and you will save a LOAD of money. I only paid £30 in total for mine which I've been using 3 months so far. Can't go wrong!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

I liked the PISA. I'll probably get a new pump for this baby though. I might look more into the Freestyle since a lot of people like it. I think the motor on my PISA may have been going.

I got it at BRU with the 20% coupon.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I'm confused by this. I think all hospital grade pumps are certified for multiple users. But I think I read the the freestyle, while not a hospital grade pump, does have a closed system, unlike the PISA, so it can be used by mulitple women.
    Yay I thought the Lansinoh one was too
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes, the Freestyle and Lansinoh could theoretically be used by more than one person. They are set up differently, and there is no way the milk can get in te tubes or motors. But I don't think that FDA approval has been sought for multiple users for those pumps, unlike the one. There may be another one approved as well; I was looking at one two years ago that was approved, but I can't remember which it was, and I ended up buying a Lansinoh because of the excellent price.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, i'm a teacher and i have some time to pump during the day, but i also work afterschool during the fall. I need to find something quick. Freestyle seemed like a good idea but i'm glad to know i need to buy another bustier to use it. I need something easy and portable