Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement....OUCH

Unhappy Engorgement....OUCH

I'm nursing my third baby, granted the first two were only 18 months apart. I nursed DD for 12 months and DS for 24+ months. Well DS #2 has arrived. He has a GREAT latch and is all for the nursing. The difference this time is that I'm SO engorged, it is painful. I can tell where the milk hasn't drained, etc. I'm worried that if he doesn't empty the breast that worse things could come.

He is only a week old today, so I'm at a loss why I have so much milk. I pump when he is done nursing and I'm still getting almost 3 ounces from one side!! I know that he is getting enough as he is pink, and having plenty of wet and poopy diapers.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to relieve the pressure? I'm hesitant to pump too much as that seems like a vicious cycle....

thanks ladies!!

Default Re: Engorgement....OUCH

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

You are correct that the best thing you can do is to stay away from the pump. Pumping will only perpetuate or exacerbate your oversupply problem. Every time you remove milk from the breast, your body replaces it. By demanding that additional 3 oz, you're telling your body that it's doing the right thing and should continue to make those 3 oz.

In order to get your body to make less, you should nurse on demand and stop pumping. If you can stop completely, it's probably a good thing because it's the fastest path to reduced supply. (The more milk you leave in the breast, the faster supply decreases.) If you are so uncomfortable that you MUST get the milk out, try to pump or hand-express the minimum needed to restore comfort. This will allow your supply to decrease, but it will happen slower than if you can completely forgo pumping. Leaving milk in the breast is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does increase your risk for plugged ducts and mastitis, so familiarize yourself with those conditions here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html If you end up with either of those things, you want to get the pump out again and focus on using it to relieve those conditions before trying to decrease supply.

More helpful tips on coping with engorgement: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"