Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting around it...

Default Getting around it...

We all know how hard it is breastfeeding in this #@$*ed up, stuck up, formula frenzied society but...let alone breastpumping??? I had a rough start in the hospital, some various troubles left me having to relactate form scratch and so I am now (thank heavens I made it) 100% EBM feeding my 5 month old son, but I feel like I am tied to the home. It takes me about 30 or 40 minutes to pump and I do it about every 2 hours, so how do you manage to go anywhere? It's not like you can just sneak off to a toilet for THAT long, can you? I mean...and what about when you're visiting people? How do you explain something like that? I know it sounds stupid but I feel embarrassed about sneaking away to do it and even more so with the thought of whipping my boobs out in front of people. What do you gals do? How do you get out and about and manage to live your lives? How do you explain it to people? Any help appreciated. I'm not ashamed of feeding my son breastmilk in any means by the way, I'm PROUD of it, it's just that I guess I feel embarrassed that I never was able to get him to the breast properly and embarrassed about having a machine to my breast in front of other people. Seems odd I guess. ? x
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Getting around it...

EPing is a drag...for me explaining it to everyone was easy casue my son had a cldeft lip and palate and couldnt nurse, so everyone knew that! I just dragged the pump with me to familys...and I literally didnt go more then 3 hours out of the house at other times so I could be home to pump.

You can tell people that you are choosing to give your baby BM, and becasue you cuoldnt nurse you are pumping it for him and leave it at that!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Yeah, PIPing is very much frowned on. I never have had a truly negative experience NIPing, in the 6 years I BF, but EPing has totally changed that. And this is the reason I think constantly, in the back if my mind, about quitting EPing, the lack of true portability. I am so tied down now it makes me crazy. It's also the reason I think women who CHOOSE EPing over BFing are completely nuts. It's not freeing. It's more restrictive!

I'm EPing for the youngest baby in my very active and large family. We were always going places, doing things, out of the house until his birth. I had put off some field trips for my older children for various reasons last year and had planned to do them starting this month after the baby was over 3 months old. Well....just how do you pump when you have three other kids to keep track of, you are by yourself (DH is not available to go with us on our trips) and there isn't any privacy? Like in the children's museum! To boot, we live at least a 30 minute drive to anything, even a park, so just arranging to be gone is like planning a military invasion.

I have pumped at a friend's house, and I pumped at swim school while waiting for my boys to swim, but I know those folks in those situations really well and they know what's going on and why I'm pumping anyway.

We are planning a trip to a local university's fun day, and it would be all day. The only way that's going to be at all feasible is that DH can actually go with us that day and look after the kids while I sneak off somewhere to pump. We might not be able to go too far from the car (boo to that, as there are activities all over campus) or I might end up pumping under a tree somewhere. When my mom is here, I'm planning a trip to a museum, but that will only work because my mom can look after the kids while I spend 20 minutes in the bathroom or somewhere pumping.

I looked for this Whisperwear pump that is supposed to be more compatible with PIPing, but it is no longer available.

Depending on which pump you have, you might be able to get some Freemies and use those. I like the idea and the appearance, but they don't work with my portable pump.

It also takes a while for me to pump. I don't let down well to a pump.

How I make it sort of work:
    1. Pump in the car on the way to wherever. I have a Freestyle I pump with in the car, but there is an adapter for most pumps available. That at least means I don't have to pump as soon as I get there. Then I pump on the way to our next errand. That lets me be out of the house for about 6 hours (2 sessions). However, I've noticed that the portable pumps just don't get enough milk out for me, and I need to use the hospital grade after about 2 sessions with a smaller pump.
    2. Use a nursing cover to cover up while hooking up and when pumping in public. I just ordered a shawl/poncho type thing that might make it easier in that regard as well.
    3. See how long you can actually go between sessions. Life totally sucked when I was pumping every 2 hours. It's not much better at 3-4, but it's enough time to maybe make a trip to the store that involves lunch for the kids too. I WISH I was one of those women who could go 6 or 8 hours between sessions. But I'm not -- not enough storage in my breasts. But if you can spread it out some, that might help. If you've been EPing for a while, you should be able to spread it out a bit.

But I did have to come to terms with the idea that for us, right now, day trips to museums, the zoo, that sort of thing, where we were away from the car or the house for more than a couple hours, particularly on days where I'm by myself with this bunch, are just not feasible.

I get what you mean about being embarrassed. I HATE the fact that I am unable to nurse this baby at the breast to nourish him (he does a little nursing, but not enough to not have to pump), and every time I have to use a feeder in public, I just hate it. At least he isn't using a bottle though. The little pump noise is also kind of embarrassing too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just posted in the 3-12 mo forums about destractable baby. my supply is really marginal ( only pumping 1-2 oz per session, every 3 hours or so). I've even added in a 2 am session when my babys been sleeping through the night for 2 months. She's 4 mo old now. I hate pumping, but I feel like my supply is so low that she's very destractable and won't bf long enough to empty a breast. I've never felt engorgment or had and leaking. I can go 6 hours or so before I even start to feel fullness and that tingling-i-need-to-nurse-soon-feeling. I try to not go that long, but I went to the beach yesterday and didn't bring my pump and couldn't get DD to bf so after 9 hours it was pretty unpleasant.

Anways...I'm commenting here because I'm considering EPing even though it's a HUGE hassle. The down side for me is that even if I do EP I'm only making 1 feeding per day. I know mommy milk is like liquid gold, but sometimes it's hard to not feel down and want to give up. I hate being tied to the house and anytime I need to be gone more than 3 hours I am really anxious that it's detrimental to my supply. But I feel weird about telling friends I need to pump when baby is sitting right there! I think I'd be more willing to pump if I could get more, but I feel like I've tried everything...

EPing won't make that feeling of feeling strange about having to pump go away. And what you get via pump is NOT a good measure of production at all.

IMHO, it would be a mistake to EP. When your LO nurses, that is a much better stimulus for supply than just pumping. Your supply is already low, an changing to EPing may make it drop to nothing.

I normally have a HUGE supply. But I'm not nearly as full as I should be, and I'm sure it's because I'm pumping and not BFing.

Nurse as much as you can, pump afterwards and I would think that would do a better job of keeping your supply than EPing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Yeah, PIPing is very much frowned on...
    Wow, you're incredible Mama! I am amazed at how many things you're able to swing getting around doing. Whadda job! I am SO with you, I would never choose to be an EP'er...and it is so embarrassing for me feeding my baby from a bottle because I (stupid, I'm sure) care what other people think to a point of it hurting and want everyone to know that I love my son enough to be feeding him breastmilk and not formula even though I know that, SADLY, breastfeeders and breastfeeding supporters are becoming the minority...the rare occasion that we do get out (I also have fibromyalgia so I am really tied to the house...grumble...) and I need to feed O.O. I usually find myself saying things like "is your mummy milk soooo good, my little eating machine?" so that people don't think I'm lazy and when his Daddy takes him out I always imagine people thinking horrible things about me (esp. because we live in a village and everyone knows who we are. Augh!!!!)

I really like your idea about using the nursing cover...I had never thought of that before!

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessepoppins View Post
    I think I'd be more willing to pump if I could get more, but I feel like I've tried everything...

I'm with *aprilsmagic/Susan on this one, but if you do go with EPing I think you'll just need to pump a lot and I do mean a LOT more frequently. Even if you do have a high capacity to prevent engorgement, if your output isn't high sometimes it's what you have to do...I know it is a LOT of work for me, personally, I pump every 2 hours or so around the clock and I don't get more than 3-3 1/2 hours of sleep in any given block of time otherwise my milk output gets damaged (AND I get engorged/plugged ducts...lucky me...and I have larger breasts too, go figure! )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    The little pump noise is also kind of embarrassing too.
    Doesn't the Freestyle sound just like a cow mooing?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos