Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping with breastfeeding?

Default Pumping with breastfeeding?

Okay, I must be unbelievable uncoordinated. How in the world do women balance nursing and pumping at the same time??? I'm back to work now and I am very sleep deprived. If I can save time by pumping while I nurse in the middle of the night, I'd love to do so. By the time I nurse DD, pump, clean all the pump parts and try to go back to sleep, I've been up for at least 1.5 hours. At this rate, I'm averaging about 4.5 hours of sleep a night. So my question is, how does one nurse and pump at the same time?

Default Re: Pumping with breastfeeding?

Try it on the weekend when you're awake. I'm not sure how you would do it at night. I wouldn't bother cleaning the parts though, I would just put them in the fridge if you're still going to do it at night. Have it set up when you go to bed, pump and then just put it all in the fridge.

Are you able to pump at work?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I tried to pump last night while I nursed and it was SOOOOOOOO complicated! I had everything set up and ready to go, but it was difficult to see, manuever around (holding her while trying to attach the flange and turning on the pump) and I barely got an ounce out. I am getting to the point where I just break down and cry because I'm so tired, which is affecting my supply. Every day I consider giving up on nursing/pumping fulltime and want to start supplementing. I'm hardly getting anything if I pump for only 15-20 minutes, even if I watch videos, look at pictures and smell my DD clothes. The only way I'm able to get remotely close to providing enough for her to eat while I'm away is if I pump for an hour straight each time, which can't be good. Not to mention the fact that it wipes me out. Sorry for venting... but I'm so tired!

I'm sorry. How much milk do you need to leave with her during the day? Is it possible that she's being overfed? And how much do you get out when you pump at work?

Maybe we can help you figure out how to get more out of your pumping.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I got a hands free pumping bra. Put that on. Got the pump and all set up, put the one on me. Grabbed my DD, latched her on. then I would plug the tubing into the one pump thing I had on and turn on the pump. It wasn't too difficult. I washed everything later. I think I even left the milk out until I went downstairs to the fridge. I did all this first thing in the morning though, not the middle of the night.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I'm not sure that pumping while nursing in the middle of the night is the easiest thing to do right off. When I was first starting to EP with DS#4 a couple months ago, it was hard. It took a long time to get set up and get going. And yep, it would take me an hour to pump -- 45 minutes to get the milk all out (down to half an hour now, finally) -- and then put everything away. Because that kind of thing takes practice.

But it got easier with practice...but practice not in the middle of the night. I had to pump in the night, but I didn't do it with extra expectations and so forth on me the next day. That's probably what Tracie is saying...practice when you can nap the next day so if you lose some sleep at night, it's not a complete train wreck the next day.

The advantage to pumping at night is that your prolactin levels are higher and you might capture more milk. But it takes a little time to figure out how to do pumping and nursing at the same time. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's the first time you tried it.

And you don't have to clean everything up. I just pop everything as is in a cooler next to the bed. If I remember, I wipe the horns down with those Medela wipes.

It takes time and consistency to teach your body to make more milk at any given session. So you got 1 oz last night. You might get 1 oz tonight but in a faster session. Then you might start getting more. It's staying with it that builds your supply.

Tell us your pumping routine, what kind of pump, how old the pump is, that sort of thing, and maybe we can help troubleshoot what's going on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I'm using a Medela PISA that I bought brand new and used once or twice a day in the beginning then down to once day while I was home with DD for 3.5 months. Now that I'm back at work, I try to pump around 8:30, 10:30, 12:30 and 2:30. Otherwise, it's on the odd hours (9, 11, 1, 3) I was trying to build my supply back up because I think it dipped with the stress of going back to work. She began getting fussy while nursing about 2 weeks prior to me going back to work. I saw my LC and she said her latch was fine, but she was too impatient for the milk to continue after the inital letdown. She suggested that I take More Milk Plus, which I started to do about 3.5 weeks ago. I also drink Mother's Milk Tea now that I'm back at work and have oatmeal for breakfast nearly every morning. I haven't much of an improvement with my pump output, but she's probably getting more when she nurses. I nurse around the following times: 1:30am, 5:30am, 5:30 pm, 8pm. Sometimes I'll squeeze in a nursing session around 7ish, which pushes my last nursing session to 9ish and I got to bed around 10:30ish. When I'm at work, she gets 4 bottles a day usually at 2 hour intervals and typically 3 ozs per bottle. Every now and again, she gets fussy after a bottle and DH will give her an extra oz or 2. I'm gone for about 11 hours a day and she eats on average 12 oz while I'm gone. She starts day care at the end of the month, so she'll have to wake up earlier and will more than likely need an extra 3 oz bottle.

To get the most out of pumping, I massage my breasts prior to pumping and do breast compressions while I pump. I also manually express afterward and I can get a few squirts out from each side. Otherwise, I don't get much out. It's difficult to do breast compressions on the side I'm pumping while DD is nursing from the other. I try to nap while DD is nursing in the middle of the night, but definitely couldn't do that last night when I tried to pump simultaneously.

Is your LO sleeping for any long stretches at night? When I pumped I'd pump after the first morning feed after her longest stretch. I didn't get a whole lot at first. Less than 1 ounce. But eventually I was able to get a lot more and so that's when I started pumping one side and nursing the other. Because there was plenty on one side for her.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

She sleeps very well at night. When I feed her around 1:30, I'm doing a dream feed, which is why I'd like to try and pump while I nurse. When I wake up around 5, she's also still asleep and I'd like to maximize my time so I could pump simultaneously then too.

How much are you getting while you're pumping at work? Sorry if I'm missing it here.

It sounds like you have enough milk, but are having trouble letting down for the pump. And her intake while you're gone sounds perfect. Are you going to be away from her for longer when she starts daycare? Is that why you think she'll need 3 more ounces?

And what about pumping during the day while she's nursing on your days off instead of doing it at night, every night? That would give you extra milk for the week and also signal your body to make more milk at that time so when you're pumping during the day at work, you should also be able to get more too.
    Tracie

Mommy to