Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing solids!

Default refusing solids!

Hi my DD is almost 7 months. she has been eating solids (oatmeal, pureed carrots, squash, sweetpotatoes, etc) since 5 months. We started with store bought, we recently transitioned to home made a couple days ago. Ever since, she is refusing to eat solids. i dont want to buy the food again b/c i want to transition to a chunkier texture; dont want to depend on pureed foods forever! Dont know what to do. Any ideas??

Default Re: refusing solids!

Have you considered mixing them for a few days so it's less of a transition for her?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I would just keep offering them to her. Also agree with pp. Don't get too worried if she goes a few days with little to no solids....at this point in her life they are for practice not nutrition. She still gets everything she needs to thrive from her BM
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Don't get too worried if she goes a few days with little to no solids....at this point in her life they are for practice not nutrition. She still gets everything she needs to thrive from her BM
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree on all counts. My 7-month old twins sometimes go for a few days without solids because we get busy, they aren't interested, etc. So long as your LO is BF well she won't miss out on any nutrients.

Store-bought is so different from homemade... Homemade has MUCH more flavor and your LO could be wondering what it is that you are trying to pull over on her by all of a sudden changing her diet, even if it's "the same" foods (like sweet potatoes you cooked versus from a jar).

I would definitely try mixing some jarred food that she's used to with the newer food to help her to transition more gently. Perhaps start with more jarred and a little homemade mixed in. Just a small bit will change the flavor A LOT for a tiny baby palate, even if you can't taste much of a difference. Then move to more and more homemade and less jarred.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack