Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to deal with destractable baby?

Default how to deal with destractable baby?

My DD is just now 4 months old.

Here's the history: We've struggled with low supply from the get go. Last month, I took Reglan to get it up and was able to pump half of her daily needs then I got on mirena and milk supply tanked. I had it for a month and got it removed last tuesday. So I was hoping that I could re-build my supply without the BC messing things up, but now DD is so very destractable that I can't get her to nurse long enough to empty a breast! She focuses alittle better for the bottle, but I'm discouraged because we're up to like 20oz or so of formula per day and supplementing BM...and most of the BM is pumped because she won't BF! I'm only able to pump 1-2 oz per session and I'm pumping every 3 hours during the day and even added in a pump session at 2 am. DD has been sleeping through the night (like 8-9 hours at night) for 2 months. I'm already taking tons of fenugreek, mothers milk tea, beer and lots of water. My LC is out of suggestions and my OB doesn't beleive me that the mirena tanked my milk supply. And I don't know if it was or wasn't the mirena, but it triggered a month long period and I think THAT is what effed up my already-marginal-supply....so I'm not getting help from my OB either.

Her 4 month doc appt is on the 12th, but I feel very confident the doc will like what she sees. DD is ENORMOUS! She has plenty of diapers and although I don't know how much she weighs she is now wearing 6-9 month size clothing. At birth she was 9 lb 7 oz, 23 in and at 2 months she was 12.5 lbs and 25 1/4 in long.

Here's the problem:
    When I try to BF in the living-room she wants to watch daddy talk, look at her toys across the room, and watch TV. I've tried hiding with her in the nursery with the lights low, but she wants to see everything! She looks at the door, the lamp on the table, her feet, her bed, the red diaper boxes behind the rocker, she stops to smile at me etc etc. So how to I get her back to the breast despite my marginal milk supply and her obvious preference for bottles? We use Playtex drop ins and when we're on the go we have one avent advanced.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by @llli*jessepoppins; April 3rd, 2011 at 10:10 AM.

Default Re: how to deal with destractable baby?

Hi momma,

Sounds like you're doing lit's of good things to get your supply up. You could also try (if you're not already):

Eating oats (porridge gives my supply a boost)
    Offering the boob every time before anything else
    Using the slowest flow nipple on the bottle that you can (so baby won't prefer the 'easier' bottle)

When my LO is being super distracted I have to take him somewhere quiet and dark, then persevere. I also find that he's less likely to look around if we use the side lying position.

Keep up the good work momma. You can do it
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

Ahh 4 month distractible baby syndrome :-) my DD definitely went through a major distractible phase right around 4 months (well, she's still pretty distractible at almost 6 months :-)

My suggestion is to get a sling and nurse her in there. That's the only way I could keep my baby focused on eating. It also allowed me to get out of the house too!

Good luck!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

I do offer the breast first, though sometimes she only sucks for a few minutes before screaming for a bottle...and as you know, most of the time she's lookin around or falling asleep. I'll try oatmeal.

I've been interested in nursing in the sling, but I have large breasts and have to hold it for her. I'm confused about how to get her in the right position for feeding while using the sling. I was out with my mom yesterday and we nursed in a restaurant with a blanket over us, that worked well until the food came...so I guess that's a significant amount of time, right? Could her distract-ability be caused by low milk? Or do babies just get distractable when they figure out they can see across the room? This is my first, so I dunno.

Thanks for the tips!

here's a great article about the distractible baby.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

This is my first too and I'm definitely learning as I go :-)

Babies seem to get pretty distractible once they start notIcing the world around them. It's as if there's so much to see and they don't want to miss a beat.

As far as being diatractible due to low milk supply, I'm not sure because i haven't had that issue yet. But my experience has been that my baby just gets frustrated if there's a milk issue (i.e. Slow let-down) rather than just pulling off to look at something.

Also I started to worry that my baby wasn't eating enough at this stage (because I was used to 40 minute newborn feeding sessions) but then I read that babies get more efficient at getting the milk out of your breast as they get older.
    I'm Melanie

Still

Oh and don't worry about getting the nursing the sling right on the first try. It definitely takes practice and will change as your baby gets older. But it might help with getting your baby to nurse. Mine is so in love with the sling she gets excited just seeing it!
    I'm Melanie

Still

i still have distractable baby and she's almost a year old. can't nip or really anyplace that has too many distractions. have you tried singing/humming/whistling to get her to stay on longer? that works for me, also the dark rooms, laying down while feeding, feeding when she's very sleepy or almost asleep, and switching sides a few times if she loses interest too fast
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog