Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Methylprednisolone safe while nursing

Default Is Methylprednisolone safe while nursing

I have been having an allergic reactions and my dr prescribed methylprednisolone starting day I take 24 mg then it drops 4mg daily until gone is this safe? Has anyone else taken this drug while nursing i'm super paranoid thank you!

Default Re: Is Methylprednisolone safe while nursing

Have you checked http://www.infantrisk.com?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    Have you checked http://www.infantrisk.com?
    I looked and could not find anything I gave in and decided to take the steroid I can't handle the hives from this allergic reaction ant I don't think the doctor would give it to me if it would cause harm to my baby

There's quite a long entry in Hale, but it sounds like this part might be applicable:

In general, the amount of methylprednisolone and other steroids transferred into human milk is minimal as long as the dose does not exceed 80 mg per day. However, relating side effects of steroids administered via breastmilk and their maternal doses is rather difficult and each situation should be evaluated individually. Extended use of high doses could predispose the infant to steroid side effects including decreased linear growth rate, but these require rather high doses. Low to moderate doses are believed to have minimal effect on breastfed infants.
    It also says to limit the dose and length of exposure as much as possible because high doses and prolonged exposure through milk may inhibit bone growth, cause ulcers, glaucoma, etc. However, no problematic effects due to exposure through breastmilk have been reported.

The adult dose is 2 to 60mg per day, so it sounds like you're on the low end.

You can also call InfantRisk at 806-352-2519 and talk to one of their counselors. They may be able to give you info more specific to your situation.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    There's quite a long entry in Hale, but it sounds like this part might be applicable:

It also says to limit the dose and length of exposure as much as possible because high doses and prolonged exposure through milk may inhibit bone growth, cause ulcers, glaucoma, etc. However, no problematic effects due to exposure through breastmilk have been reported.

The adult dose is 2 to 60mg per day, so it sounds like you're on the low end.

You can also call InfantRisk at 806-352-2519 and talk to one of their counselors. They may be able to give you info more specific to your situation.
    thank you very much Karen I started with 24 mg and drop 4 mg daily for six days I had to do something to get rid of these hives!