Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply went down, please help

Unhappy Supply went down, please help

Hello all,

I have 4 month old twins and have been to this website here and got great advises. As of last week, I was getting around 38-40ozs of milk per day where I did 1 or 2 sessions of direct nursing and rest of pumping. I increased the frequency to every 2 hours based on advise from here and during night I give 6-7 hrs of gap. I was doing well but unfortunately it is not the same anymore. During last weekend, I could not pump or latch regularly for 3 days or so. I did like long gaps and pumping every 6 hrs on one of the days and one day I couldnt get to my baby at all. My diet and sleep were slightly disturbed due to some get to gethers. On the 4th day after this, I had a tough time getting the milk out using the pump somehow it wouldnt get the milk from my left breast and it got so hard by the time I was back from work and my baby emptied it well. But from the next day on am noticing that when I pump the supply is not as fast as before. Earlier I used to get 4 ozs in 15 mins now it goes around 20 plus minutes is slow and I get around 3-3.5 ozs only. I use the Medela pump in style advance and I tried putting the pump now is a let down mode all the time and it helps a little. Also I noticed that am not feeling very full too. My baby latched yesterday and cried after 2 hrs for food where he normally would remain happy for 3 hours. All this is scaring me that when I was able to get the supply well just few days ago, is it going down by any chance? I started with the organic mothers milk tea, fenugreek capsules, alfalfa, blessed thirstle etc. as I heard from here and all other places. These helped me in the past, not sure if they are making any difference. I am worried as my babies love bm than formula (like any other babies may be) and I want to continue to feed them atleast for couple of more months. Please advise me on what I can do now. I am trying to pump every 2 hours during the day and did that yesterday have not seen a improvement yet. Please help. Thanks.

Default Re: Supply went down, please help

Hi there,

(((HUGS))) to you. You seem as though you are feeling overwhelmed right now. You have a lot of concerns about your babies and you're not sure what you should do.

It sounds to me like, more than anything else, you need a break from all outside committments, and you need to spend time enjoying your babies. Babies are *so much* better at building and maintaining milk supply than pumps are. May I suggest that you take a "babymoon"? Take a few days off, retreat to bed with your babies, and just nurse, cuddle, and enjoy them. Take the phone off the hook, put dh in charge of meals, get housework help from friends, etc. Its bound to do amazing things for your milk supply, and you'll probably feel a whole lot better about life, too.

I'm sure some of the other mamas on this board will have some great ideas for you, too.

Hang in There,

Tiana