Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unused milk

Default Unused milk

If I take a 5oz bottle out but only use 3oz can I put the rest back in the fridge?

Default Re: Unused milk

We do. All the time. I'd be throwing out so much milk if I didn't. The feeders my LO uses are $25 each, so I can't have 15 bottles either. So this is how we roll And he's not sick, and the milk looks and tastes just fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It's best that you not re-chill previously heated milk, but I'm with Susan - it's hard for me to throw out milk.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have plenty of times, but I wouldn't reheat more than once. Like pp said I would be wasting a lot of milk if I didn't and I've worked hard to make it

I use it for the next feeding but don't store it for a day or anything
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If your LO is frequently taking 3 oz instead of 5, how about breaking the bottles down into smaller portions?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with all pp. I always re use the milk if its left over, but also give smaller bottles... only 3.5oz
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I did want to say I don't ever heat milk (G gets milk straight from the fridge or right after pumping), and I use the milk at the next feeding, so it's not like it sits there for hours and hours.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!