Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping routine vs. amount of times pumped

Default Pumping routine vs. amount of times pumped

Sorry for all the questions today. These are questions I want to ask the LC when she returns my call. She never called me back yesterday but a NICU baby is more important than me so I understand.

My question is this..Is it better to pump in a routine/schedule such as every two-three hours resulting in at least 6 or so sessions or pump whenever resulting in at lest 6 or so sessions. The reason is this..I go back to work next week and can't pump while there but if I can squeeze in those extra sessions once I get home then I will be satisfied if I know my body isn't getting tricked or confused. I can do it regularly on the weekends but cannot during the week. Summer break is coming up too in about 8 weeks so I can do it often as needed then too. So does your body know when your missing the hours when you're supposed to be pumping or does it matter as long as you get in those sessions? Thanks.

Default Re: Pumping routine vs. amount of times pumped

IMHO, IME, it's important to have somewhat of a schedule. Your body knows when milk is withdrawn and when it's not, and that's how your supply is regulated. I find I get the most milk when I pump about 8 times a day, or every 3 hours. If I start spreading it out, I start getting less. And there is a finite amount of milk that your breasts can store, which varies for everyone. Some mamas can store like 10 oz, some can't.

So, when you do not remove milk, supply builds up and it shuts down production. Not right away -- hence engorgement, for example, is often a problem when baby first starts STTN -- but over time, when you don't pump or nurse, your body stops making milk during those hours.

This is a problem for moms who work during the week and don't pump while away for an 8 hour day (when they have young babies, not so much when you are nursing a child over 12 months). During that time, most moms need to pump at least twice at the beginning. Often their supply drops significantly when they don't pump, and then on weekends, they can't nurse the baby during the day because their body has learned to not make milk during the day.

I'm actually working with a mom now IRL who can only pump once a day at work. She nurses in the morning before work, pumps her one time and then nurses again when she gets home, and baby is allowed to nurse as much as possible. But, on weekends, she doesn't hardly have enough for him; we are working on solutions so she doesn't have to supplement on weekends.

Some nursing dyads reverse cycle, so baby nurses more at night, in situations where mom is away during the day and baby won't take a bottle or doesn't eat as much as he perhaps should.

IMHO, that would be stressful to not pump and then try to make up the difference just in pumping at night. In the evenings, it's very typical for a mom to not have as much milk as she does in the mornings. Yes, you could pump during the middle of the night -- I do that, since I'm EPing -- but that means you get up. Cosleeping and night nursing means you never have to actually get out of bed and maximizes your sleep.

Why can't you pump at work?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the post.

I'm a teacher and we're very short of staff therefore some of us rarely get our break and sometimes not even a bathroom break. There's only one person there to relieve us as state wants 2 paid staff in the room at all times so it's kinda hard working around that. I have tried to think of ways to get around it but with not being able to leave the room..there's not much else to work out.

I am trying to relactate after 10 1/2 months...really 11 months now as he just turned 11 months. So not like a newborn where it would probably be lots easier.

IME, it's rather hard to rebuild a supply without pumping all.the.time or nursing all the time when baby is older. You are going to be going against biology because of the age of your baby, and the lack of stimulation during the day while at work isn't going to help. You can do it, but it's going to be a lot, lot harder.

What they are doing is against the law in not giving you breaks. A friend of mine was stuck in a similar situation. Not good at all
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes we know it's against the law but that's another topic as it's been talked about and we're constantly reminding them of it but getting no where. Very hard to work with that kind of environment and very depressing to say the least when this is something I want to do and I want it to work but feel it's no use because of my work situation. I hate that I stopped but that is WHY I stopped...because I knew from the start that later in the year they would "forget" to come and give us a break or we'd be short of staff as we have a high turnover at our job. It just plain STINKS that I want this so bad and feel it's slipping away.

I think I'd aim for the routine while you're home, and then just do what you can once you're back at work. If only because 6 sessions per day represents a lot of effort, and if you can space the sessions out evenly over the course of the day I think you're more likely to actually do it. If you try to do 6 sessions in one evening... It's gonna be a time challenge!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I was thinking wake up a little earlier in the morning and get a session in then. Then once I get home at 330 do another, then 530, 730, 930 and then again at 1130 or 11 or sooner. yay or nay?

Sounds like a good start! If you don't have a hospital grade-pump, you should consider renting one. My insurance covered most of it, so it's $20 a month for me. I'd also recommend a little hand pump for when you are out and about.

If you can wake up once at night and do so, that will help alot too, as it will decrease the amount of time between breast-emptyings.

Also, I know you already said you don't get any breaks, but here's some thoughts. I use a sm all hand pump during the 10 min interval in between my classes (which usually ends up being just 3-4 mins after walking, etc). ANY milk removal is better than none. So if you do have a couple minutes to spare (or can hide behind a laptop, etc), go for it!

I also use the hand pump whenever I go anywhere. I pump a little bit when I get in the car, and a little on the way home. You can do that right when you get out of school, and then pump "for real" when you are home.

Same goes for at home. If your LO is happily playing and you are on the computer, no reason why you can't have it going as long as you like until you type. I often have it on while I watch tv at night. And that can be good because you relax, you know?

Good luck! I'm so happy you are still trying

Thanks. I have an Ameda Purely Yours but the hand pump is broke. I think I broke it today. LOL! I will look at it tomorrow. May try and take it with me to work but don't know how discreet I could be with it. I don't want everyone at work in my business. I like the idea of pumping in the car. I could do that while I'm waiting in line to get my daughter from school.