Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Semi-solid discharge from breast- Strange

Default Semi-solid discharge from breast- Strange

Hi there! I was just pumping, and this white booger-like thing came out of one of my breasts. This has never happened in the 4.5 months I've been nursing and/or pumping before and it was rather strange. What could it be? I tried googling but I wasn't even sure what to call it or what it was.

Just wanted to ask on here as it kind of freaked me out.

Default Re: Semi-solid discharge from breast- Strange

sounds like you may want to contact your doctor :http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/galactorrhea.html

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

It sounds like you cleared a plugged duct to me.

I'm not positive, and of course if you're concerned you should see a doctor, but I think that article is referring to having unexpected discharge when you aren't actively nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

I'm not positive, and of course if you're concerned you should see a doctor, but I think that article is referring to having unexpected discharge when you aren't actively nursing.
    This is what I was thinking as well. When this happened to me the clog was whitish and glue like in texture
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

sounds like a plugged duct

more info on plugged ducts here
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Great!!! I had no idea I even had one- maybe now that is cleared I will be able to pump more? I had never heard of anything coming out when it got unclogged, so it freaked me out. I wonder if this is recent, or if I had it all this time? Just musing. Thanks

I'd also vote for a plugged duct. A lot of moms expect that their milk is going to look like just the cow's milk they get from the store, not realizing that before most of us see cow's milk it gets filtered, pasteurized, and homogenized. Cow's milk straight from the cow is often full of strings and clumps. Not to mention the odd cow hair! (Yum, right? )
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I had that happen a couple of times when I was expressing to try to work out an engorged area. I wouldn't worry unless there was something else bothersome: redness, tenderness, etc.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012