Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick now. Can the expressed milk be stored?

Default Sick now. Can the expressed milk be stored?

Hi!
    I'm currently having flu and cough. Can the expressed milk from this period still be stored and used later (put in freezer)? Will there be germs in the milk that will infect the baby?

Thanks

Default Re: Sick now. Can the expressed milk be stored?

This information might help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sick.html

You should know, too, that your baby has already been exposed to your illness. By the time you've realized you're sick, your baby has already been exposed. The good news is that your milk will provide your baby with antibodies to the germ you have, which means your baby might not be as ill if he should "catch" would you have, the duration of the illness might be shorter, or he may not come down with the illness at all!

I can find nothing in my references that says you cannot freeze milk when you're ill to feed later.

HTH

Smile Re: Sick now. Can the expressed milk be stored?

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that presently, I should breastfeed to pass the antibodies to my baby. What I'm worried about is if I express my milk and store it now, say 2 months down the road, I feed this milk to the baby, will it cause the baby to be sick?

Another matter which I need help on: I presently store my milk in portions of 120ml (my baby is currently drinking this amount). Can I thaw the frozen milk (by immersing it in cool tap water) and then keep it in the fridge for 24 hours? This is so that I can top up the milk in case my baby needs to drink more later. I know the ideal is to store milk in smaller portions so that I can use each portion up in one go, but I have limited storage space.

Thanks

Hi Seleste,

In LLL’s BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, under the section “Colds, Flu, or Mild Infections” it says that “Illnesses are usually transmitted through skin contact and secretions from the nose and mouth, not through breastfeeding. When a mother is ill, good hygiene can decrease the baby’s chances of catching her illness.” (Good hygiene meaning regular hand-washing, trying not to breathe face-to-face with the baby.)

The same book (BAB) goes on to say about milk storage that previously frozen milk that was thawed can be safely kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours. It should not be refrozen.

Fresh milk can be added to frozen milk provided it is first cooled and there is less fresh milk than frozen milk. Cool it for about a half an hour before adding it to the frozen milk so it does not thaw the top layer.

Small quantities, 2 to 4 ounces (60 to 120 ml) thaw and warm quickly and less milk will be leftover if the baby doesn’t take it all.

Does this help?

Mary

Yes. Thks very much for your help