Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know if the flanges are too small?

Default How do you know if the flanges are too small?

So I have thought about relactation and keep getting discouraged...been feeling guilty that I stop and start and stop again. So...after reading MORE stuff on the internet I keep coming back to the one question I have wondered all along...are the flanges of my breastpump too small? I'm not big/full up top by no means buy my nipples seem to be larger and when sucked into the flanges my nipples/areola touch the sides. I can't find a picture or video anywhere online to show me the correct sizing/fit. Thanks so much.

Default Re: How do you know if the flanges are too small?

If the nipple rubs painfully against the sides of the collection tube, the shield is probably too small.

If the nipple shoots in and out of the tube and you feel frequent breaks in the suction, then the shield is probably too big.

If neither of those things are happening, the shield is probably about right.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hmm..I think the size I have is okay. Thanks. Trying to find some miracle part that I'm leaving out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megc View Post
    Hmm..I think the size I have is okay. Thanks. Trying to find some miracle part that I'm leaving out.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.