Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Galactagogues

Default Galactagogues

What herbal/otc galactagogues have you taken? What did you find to be most effective-what were the results?

Thus far, I have taken:
    Fenugreek (took this to the point of REEKING of maple syrup...it was useless for me)
    Blessed Thistle
    Cinnamon
    Anise Seed
    Carum Carvi

The last 2, Aniseed & Carum Carvi were the most effective for me personally. With their help (and DILLIGENT pumping) I got from about 5 oz a day to where I am now, which is nearly a qt. a day

Just wondering what everyone elses experiences were...what did you find most effective for you, what DIDN'T work, any side effects, ect...?
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Galactagogues

Yhe only things that worked for me were drinking enough (ie HUGE amounts of) water and oatmeal (porridge)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: Galactagogues

I have taken fenugreek capsules, Mother's Milk Tea and right now I'm taking Moringa (Malunggay) leaf powder. Fenugreek doesn't seem to work for me - why do I NEVER smell anything maple syrup, even with the maximum dosage? Mother's Milk Tea I really don't know coz sometimes I'm really only drinking it as a placebo. Moringa powder tastes YUCK , but it does seem to work a bit .

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...