Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog post: Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding

Default Re: Blog post: Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding

Ya know, the part about "Aside from having lactating breasts, there are no real parenting style requirements to breastfeed" was the only thing that threw me! Because I think that if you're going to nurse successfully, there is one additional requirement: nursing on demand. I know there are people out there who schedule and are successful, but there are so many more who end up throwing in the towel early when a strict schedule tanks their supply.

Maybe nursing on demand is a physical requirement, not a "parenting style" requirement, but I think it's hard to meet that physical requirement without parenting in a responsive style.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, but I don't think responsive parenting is limited to any one "style", kwim?

I breastfed, but in most ways I'm pretty un-crunchy. (I wonder what that makes me--gooey? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    I almost wanted to start a "non-crunchy" commonalities thread.
    I've thought about it myself!

I do worry about LLL's image in that respect -- if mothers feel like they have to have a certain parenting style to be accepted here or at LLL meetings, then there's a huge segment of the population that we're not reaching. And they need support with breastfeeding too! I try to stay mindful of that, though it can be hard -- when you spend a lot of time with like-minded people -- to remember that there are other ways to do things.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I breastfed, but in most ways I'm pretty un-crunchy. (I wonder what that makes me--gooey? )
    chewy? with crunchy chunks

mmmm now I'm hungry

ETA: to make my post on-topic I'll add that I use disposable diapers, mostly vaccinate, let my kids eat crap on occasion, and probably lots of other things that aren't crunchy, but I also encourage parenting choices (here and elsewhere) that I think will help breastfeeding relationships like cosleeping, being responsive, not CIO, baby wearing, things like that. I also try to make it clear that I don't think you have to do those things to have a successful bf relationship, it just makes it easier. I almost never wore Nora, she didn't like it. I also supplemented both my kids with formula. I think it's good for people to know it's not all or nothing, while still hearing that some choices facilitate nursing better than others.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; April 1st, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for posting this. Also, it's good to know I'm not the only closet gooer around here.

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated when I first started lurking these forums, b/c I saw all of these elaborate sigs with all of these things I didn't do. After a while though, I realized that underneath it all, this is a supportive community of women who just their kids and (oh, by the way) happen to breastfeed. So I jumped in!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Great Topic!
    if someone were to ask me what they best thing in my life has been I would say breastfeeding my children, I am not sure I could fully explain why, some of it is bonding, seeing how much my sons enjoy it and are calmed by it, some nutrition, but there is something that i cannot explain about it. Something I cannot verbalize.

I find that people who feel they can categorize breastfeeding simply do not see the dynamic nature of it.

It is unfortunate that so many labels are associated with breastfeeding, those labels detract from the act of breastfeeding. Many people never appreciate this complex natural system because they have prejudices and fears that they attach with the culture they see breastfeeding as being a part of. These assumptions about nursing act as barriers.

Right now i feel that the labels associated with breastfeeding play a large part in why woman don't continue breastfeeding or never even give it a try. In order for all mothers to have access to the support and encouragement they deserve, we must each work to break the ideas of what a breastfeeding mom is. Every time i nurse in public I feel like I am unraveling some of the misconceptions surrounding breastfeeding.

I am a non-crunchy, breastfeeding Momma. However, that would be my designation here. To a mainstream Momma? They'd probably call me crunchy. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Depending on the audience, and the judge.

I:
    - EBF
    - BF beyond a year
    - make my own baby food
    - stay away from brand names as much as possible
    - do a variation of attachment parenting
    - often cosleep

I don't:
    - cloth diaper
    - BLS
    - avoid all plastics
    - plan to home school
    - feel that formula is the root of all evil, I believe it has it's place

I appreciate that each of us has our own approach to parenting our children. No one else is in our home with our children; no one else is their Mother. So the decisions we make in our homes are the right ones. While we may come here for advice, we by no means are asking for permission. While we may ask for options, we're not asking for decisions to be made for us.

Momma's tend to be the most passionate of beings, it runs to our core. But we have to remember what we are being asked for (advice, options) and what we're not being asked for (permission, decisions or judgment). Assumptions and labels only pigeon-hole us and in the end, limit us.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; April 30th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

saw this the other day...good read!

Thank you for posting this. I too am much more mainstream than many of the mommas on here. I first came to these forums in 2008 when I was struggling with nursing DS through what seemed at the time to be unending days of colic. I primarily lurked at that time since I really didn't feel like I fit in. I even actually stopped using the forums for a while since I chose to wean DS at 17 months and felt like this was yet another decision that made me "different."

We use disposable diapers, vaccinate, make our own baby food, do a mix of BLS and purees, use plastics, and baby wear. We co-sleep with DD, but never really did with DS since he was such a light sleeper. We try to eat home cooked, locally grown, mostly organic food, but at the same time enjoy a cheeseburger, fries and a shake.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I know I'm late to this discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for posting this. Also, it's good to know I'm not the only closet gooer around here.

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated when I first started lurking these forums, b/c I saw all of these elaborate sigs with all of these things I didn't do. After a while though, I realized that underneath it all, this is a supportive community of women who just their kids and (oh, by the way) happen to breastfeed. So I jumped in!

I will also say that these forums have expanded my horizons when it comes to parenting. (Sorry, mom!) I am learning that 99% of the time, it is really what works for momma and her family. There are no set rules! These forums have also made me more conscious of our environment and our budget. I am currently "aspiring" to become a little more crunchy.