Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PCOS and LOW MILK!

Unhappy PCOS and LOW MILK!

HELP! After 5 years trying to have a baby and finally finding out we were- we had a difficult pregnancy as I had gestational diabetes at just 8 weeks and was on two kinds of insulin. Before that I was on metphormin to get pregnant and now I have a healthy happy baby boy- 8 weeks tomorrow. But I have almost NO MILK! We've had to supplement with formula, as ordered by our pediatrician and I've tried EVERYTHING to fix my problem! I've tried mothers milk herbal tea, I've tried diet change, oatmeal, water water water, pump pump pump EVERYTHING. Lately I've done a lot of research on the connection between PCOS and low milk supply and I've started a twitter PCOS MOMMY about it... to get support and give it maybe too. But- anyone have ideas on what I can do next? Can I take metphormin with breast feeding, and should I? ETC? Any thoughts or help is much appreciated!

Default Re: PCOS and LOW MILK!

PCOS can (though it often doesnt) have a massive impact on supply. There are some great links here.

I think this article is great. From there:
    For mothers with PCOS that do experience true milk supply problems, there are a few courses of action that can be beneficial.

The first is to ask a doctor about Metformin, the drug commonly used to treat PCOS patients. Metformin is probably most helpful if taken during pregnancy so that it can support the necessary developmental changes in the breasts, but even if it is started after delivery, some women with PCOS have seen a positive impact on the milk supply.

"Most treatments are band-aid approaches," says Marasco. "Metformin seems to hit deeply at the roots of the disorder, and it's reported that multiple symptoms seem to improve in women who respond to treatment."

Since thorough studies have not yet been done on how Metformin could impact babies, many doctors are hesitant to prescribe it to breastfeeding women. However, Marasco points out that a study by Tom Hale, a leading lactational pharmacology expert, found that the levels of Metformin transferred into breast milk are very low and are unlikely to impact an infant.

Fenugreek is a popular herbal treatment widely used by nursing mothers, as well as goat's rue, which is an herbal galactagogue that contains some of the same chemicals as Metformin.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that goat's rue can help build breast tissue and could improve milk supply in PCOS patients, although like many herbal treatments, no solid medical studies have thoroughly examined goat's rue and established guidelines for its use.
    There are some PCOS mamas on here and hopefully they can tell you what helped them.

I know it isnt ideal but I combination breast/formula fed my first baby for 11 months and would have gone longer if I hadnt been pregnant.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Have you asked your doctor about domperidone or Reglan. I have pcos also. I don't know for sure if my low supply was linked to it or not, but domperidone helped me go from pumping 3 oz per day to 20 is per day. And we are still nursing at 28 months. Talk to your doctor about it. Nothing else worked for me!

Goodluck!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Domperidone is awesome. Initially I had practically NO milk supply. It took 5 days for it to come in at all After taking the domperidone for 48 hours I had LOTS of milk! I continued it about a month. My son is now almost 3 months old and has been EBF since 2 weeks. I have been off the med for a long time and actually have some oversupply issues. It is mildly inconvenient to have milk spray everywhere while NIP, but still wayyyyy better than low supply!

I have PCOS. Metformin helps, but I eventually had to go on domperidone. The reglan made me a little so I dedcided to use the dom. If you need help ordering it, feel free to send me a PM
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

In the meantime, can you request donor milk?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm also seriously struggling with supply. I've never been able to pump more that 6 oz, and then I started losing about an oz a week. Saw a consultant, and she has me on fenugreek, reglan, mother milk tea, I make lactation cookies, eat oatmeal for breakfast, and have barely noticed an increase. I just placed an order for blessed thistle and shatavari, but am worried I'm wasting my money. My obgyn fought tooth and nail to give me the reglan, and I don't think I can afford the domperidone. That and I'm afraid ordering it online may be illegal. It took us 3 years, and 7 miscarriages to finally get our son. I was so looking forward to BFing but now feel so defeated. So if you need someone exactly where you are, feel free to contact me. I have an apt with an endocrinologist, since my ob doesnt want to deal with me anymore. Hoping that if I get the pcos under control my milk may come back...

My apt is may 10th, and today was my last day of reglan. I'm guessing it was what helped my supply, not the herbs and teas. Never smelled of maple syrup or anything. And eating all the oatmeal is seriously packing on weight for me. You know how we react to carbs!

Can you ask for a refill of the reglan for a little while longer? I know you said you can't afford domperidone...but I promise you, formula is EXPENSIVE Then the bottles, the sterile water to mix it with, etc. I'd try the domperidone...it doesn't disappoint!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I just placed an order from the pharmacy you suggested Leslie, THANK YOU! Every place else was WAY more expensive, and seemed kind of shady so I was scared to do it. Knowing that you've used the site without issue made me feel better. I just hope it works! The reglan just started to increase my supply, so I'm hoping the DR will give me one more week of the reglan to tide me over til the Dom gets here...

Just so exhausted from fighting the infertility, the gestational diabetes, the drs all but trying to force me into a csection, and then to get hit with the possibility of my body not letting me BF ( not to mention being a new mom lol)... Well if I were a less stubborn woman I would be curled up in a ball crying eating cherry garcia and probably on anti depressants. As is when I hit a wall like this I get angry, and even more determined lol. My hubby says he can't believe how little ground I've given to the drs we've had to deal with. He's one to take things as he's told them. I took him to an apt and then when we got home showed him lots of research that showed how wrong the DR was... It never would have occurred to him to ask a question let alone look things up himself...

Anyway, I'm rambling... Hope things are going well with you Leslie and thank you again for the help!