Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF 13month old - is my supply decreasing?

Question BF 13month old - is my supply decreasing?

Hello

This is my first visit and first post on here, I'm hoping someone might be able to help/share their own experiences.

I am BF my 13 month old daughter. She was exclusively BF until 6months old and then started on solid food. She now BF in the morning at breakfast and the evening before bathtime, and then whenever I get up with her in the night - anything from once to three times a night.

Over the last few weeks i have noticed that my breasts have 'shrunk' back to their pre-pregnancy size, and feel 'floppy'. Although I have had engorged breasts for a long time now, they just feel empty?

Up until a few weeks ago i could tell when i got a 'let down' as she would start to swallow loudly and suck more slowly. This doesn't happen anymore. She sucks at the same rate for the entire feed & the feeds last longer than they used to. When I hand express the milk doesn't 'squirt out' like it had been doing and from one breast it looks like the colostrum used to look.

Anybody have a similar experience?
    Any reassurance?

Thank you for reading.

Default Re: BF 13month old - is my supply decreasing?

Well, it's normal for your breasts to shrink back to their pre-pregnancy size, and to stop feeling full or engorged as frequently (or ever). So that's probably most of what you're noticing. It doesn't actually mean your supply is lower, though. You can have high supply at 13 months without ever feeling full or engorged.

But there are a few things that can reduce your supply even further - the big ones that come to mind are the return of your period and getting pregnant. Supply is often lower for a couple days before your period (and then it bounces back). When you get pregnant, it often goes way down, only to recover when your baby is born. Could either of these be the culprit?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The physical descriptions you provided sound typical for a mother of a nursing toddler. However don't be alarmed if in a few weeks she decides to nurse more vigorously and you begin to experience fullness again.
    toddlers benefit emotionally and physically from being breastfed.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thank you for your replies.

My period was due 13days ago & not yet appeared, have done two pregnancy tests, the last one was on saturday but negative result - my periods started again when my daughter was 7.5 months old, had two regular periods then a six week gap then two more regular periods (I was like clockwork pre pregnancy) and now this gap - we have been trying to conceive but very confused as test negative but changes to my milk supply - do u think it's just coincidence & my cycle not yet returned to full fertility?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littlepenguin View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

My period was due 13days ago & not yet appeared, have done two pregnancy tests, the last one was on saturday but negative result - my periods started again when my daughter was 7.5 months old, had two regular periods then a six week gap then two more regular periods (I was like clockwork pre pregnancy) and now this gap - we have been trying to conceive but very confused as test negative but changes to my milk supply - do u think it's just coincidence & my cycle not yet returned to full fertility?

Thanks again
    Well, if it's your period, you should get AF in a day or two. If you don't, I'd test again. Othwerwise, don't worry too much. If your baby seems pretty happy, your supply is probably fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

So, I did another test today and.... I'm pregnant! Can't quite believe it, had it in my mind that I would need to stop bf to conceive (which I really didn't want to do)

Hoping I'll be able to tandem nurse when the time comes!

:-)

Congratulations!

Congratulations!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations!! How exciting!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Wow! Well, that explains it! Congratulations!

You can call me JoMo!