Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth making things difficult -ouch!

Default Teeth making things difficult -ouch! *and now blocked ducts too* Help!

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and wonder if anyone can help with some advice. My 13mo DD2 has just got her first teeth and the very first one, at the top, has been rubbing against my skin and caused sores. It is razor sharp! I managed to heal the first sore, on the left breast, by changing positions for a few days as it only seemed to rub in one certain position, but I've now got a stubborn painful sore on the right at the base of the nipple. I'm using Lansinoh and am changing positions (which is the only way I can bare to feed atm as our 'usual' is complete agony ) but I've noticed the tooth is making indentations in other places too after a feed so if I carry on with those positions I probably will get sores there too.
    Is this something that corrects itself and gets better without me doing anything, or do I need to somehow try to change her latch?
    Also she's been biting me quite a lot last couple of days, both at the beginning and end of a feed. I'm hoping this is just due to another two teeth making their way through at the top, and that she'll stop it once they are through. Not enjoying the nursing very much right now and I really really hope we can get through this... I really don't want to give it up yet
    Last edited by @llli*losi.love; December 16th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Teeth making things difficult -ouch!

teeth really shouldn't hurt you during nursing. You might need to get her latched on deeper. Really, if the baby latched on where the teeth come in (on the alveolar ridge) it would hurt teeth or no teeth, it is very hard there. Don't put up with biting, de latch, calmly say "no bite" or something like that. my dd has 12 teeth but they rarely interfere with nursing unless she's playing around and does smack me wrong.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks for the reply!

I think I'm getting blocked ducts on the right side now too There are small, hard and tender lumps on the outside of the breast. Her latch must be bad cos of the teeth eh? How do I correct it?
    I'm Vicky, SAHM and proud mamma to my two beautiful little girls:
    DD#1 Sep 06
    DD#2 Nov 09

We and I it!!!

Just wanted to update incase someone reads this having the same issue, that I got a link with info in my Introductions thread that really helped
    It said that if you hold your breast with the thumb on top and 2-4 fingers underneath and press into the breast with your index finger as you latch her on, it makes the nipple point downwards. Tried this and it helped her get a deeper latch and helped make the latch painfree Now just gotta wait for the sore to heal up and work on getting this latch when lying down at night as that is trickier.. Been working on the biting too and she seems to start to get that it isn't acceptable, so fingers crossed
    DD#1 Sep 06
    DD#2 Nov 09

We and I it!!!

good luck I hope that she wont continue biting. I know it may seem mean, but I had to firmly say NO! and unlatch DD when she bit the first time, she was only about 5 months...and she CRIED!!!! But she stopped. I had to do that a few other times as she got older but we have zero biting issues. I really hope that your DD will get the message
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    good luck I hope that she wont continue biting. I know it may seem mean, but I had to firmly say NO! and unlatch DD when she bit the first time, she was only about 5 months...and she CRIED!!!! But she stopped. I had to do that a few other times as she got older but we have zero biting issues. I really hope that your DD will get the message
    Thanks! The biting has been getting better and better and the last three times she's nursed without biting at all
    DD#1 Sep 06
    DD#2 Nov 09

We and I it!!!

thanks for the update! I am having the same issue with my 12 month old and I searched through old threads hoping to find advice! he has a very uncomfortable shallpw latch since getting teeth (he has 8) and it makes nursing very uncomfortable, so I so it less, and my supply is getting low. I want to fix it- I will tyr that latching technique you suggested it(if I cn remember it when I am doing it!)