Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to pump and how much to expect

Default when to pump and how much to expect

My son is 8 weeks old and I'm ready to pump one bottle (at least) a day so my husband can help out at least one feeding per day. I feed on demand and DS nurses for 10 - 30 minutes at a time every 1.5 - 4 hours, depending on naps, etc.

It takes forever to get any milk out. Last night, for example, I pumped (Medela hospital-grade pump) for 45 minutes and didn't even get 2 oz. I know my son is getting enough during nursing, doesn't seem overly hungry and his growth is terrific, but shouldn't I get more out when pumping? And when do I pump?! There seems no time for it, at this rate. (My son has serious reflux, which thank goodness is starting to resolve, but still must be kept upright ~30 min after each feeding.)

Any advice for a new pumper? I've tried all 4 sizes of the breast shields, different strengths from the pump, etc. All to no avail.

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: when to pump and how much to expect

Well, if it isnt working and its only to get your DH to have a bottle to feed baby, maybe you should put it off a bit

If you are only going to need one bottle then 2 oz should be fine!
    Last edited by @llli*dara; March 31st, 2011 at 04:44 AM.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

yeah baby is very young yet.. Keep trying.
    I found that just feeding the baby was easier for us and hubby had to step it up in other areas. Like cooking and shopping.

I don't let down well to the pump either, and I HAVE to pump. Baby has a cleft palate and can't nurse well enough to survive or maintain a supply.

I find that massage and warmth prior to trying to pump helps get a letdown. I also found some herbs that help me with letdown, like marshmallow (it's in Mother's Milk tea) so I can let down easier.

Also, let your pump (is it a Symphony or Lactina) do the work. Or....hook up one side and pump while you nurse from the other side and take advantage of your natural letdown.

Breast compressions...I can't pump without them. If I don't apply pressure, I don't get anything out.

For time...most moms find that if they pump in the morning, they can get enough to not have to pump again that day if they just want one bottle, or they save it toward those times when they would be going out for a few hours. Or you can try picking one or two times and tacking a few minutes of pumping to that feeding to stimulate more milk production at that time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Or....hook up one side and pump while you nurse from the other side and take advantage of your natural letdown.
    @aprilsmagic, how in the world do you pump one side while nursing on the other? I feel like I need another set of hands to accomplish that feat!

Hands free bra

you can cut a small hole in the flap of a cheap nursing bra, put the horn through the hole and attach the pump. Nurse from the other side with baby in a football hold or with feet restrained so they don't kick your bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try!

You can also support baby on your lap with a pillow, towels to support your breast if necessary and then hold the horn. Easier to do if your baby is older and latching unassisted. Also very easy if you have learned to nurse hands free (what I miss the most, I think).
    Susan

Another idea is to just use your nursing bra as a hands free device. Push one side of the bra off your breast and use it to hold the pump in place. That's what I do for my middle of the night pump session.
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!