Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance since starting bottle feeding?

Default foremilk/hindmilk imbalance since starting bottle feeding?

i went back to work recently (this is my third week). last week, my 3.5 month old dd finally started consistently taking a bottle from daddy, who is at home w/her. yay!!

unfortunately, this week she's been having dark green poops again (this happened before, when i had oald/os, which has since improved). i'm wondering if there's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance in the milk i'm pumping. some of her poops are normal-looking orange-yellow, but the ones during the day & early evening are green.

i usually pump about 8am, 10am, and 2pm, and nurse her at lunch. i usually pump for 10 to 12 minutes, as that's all i have time for. i use breast massage and compression during pumping, and it seems like my breasts are pretty empty when i'm done, with no more milk obviously coming out. i seem to see the creamy hindmilk toward the end of the pumping session, sometimes more than others. i usually combine the quantities from the left & right breasts into the same bag for storage in the fridge, to be used the next day. i'm getting anywhere from 2.5-5 oz at each pumping session (both breasts combined). typically it's right around 3oz.

are there other things i should be doing? thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance since starting bottle feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moonmaidyn View Post

are there other things i should be doing? thanks for any suggestions!
    Try waiting for a few seconds and then hand expressing *after* you pump, you'll be amazed how much more you can get out. I am an exclusively EBM feeder and I don't have to supplement with formula, simply because of this trick and the fact that in between pumpings I hand express a few squirts of breastmilk just to keep the stimulation going (which will also help your breasts produce more hindmilk). I'm not so sure what to do though if you're strapped for time, maybe cut the pumping off a couple minutes early to do this? I usually pump for 25-30 min followed by expressing 10 min each time! lol
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply