Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much water should a bf bb drink?

Default How much water should a bf bb drink?

How much water should an 11month old bb drink in a humid (90%) clime? He takes 2 solids a day but barely drinks more than 1/4 oz of water each meal. He bf about 5x to 7x a day still in varying amounts.

Default Re: How much water should a bf bb drink?

Oh but we might have a debate. If your child is EBF they don't NEED any other liquid besides your milk AT ALL for at least the 1st year. It's completely possible (and probable) that you are taking care of all his hydration needs. I too give my child water w/ meals as I want him to get used to drinking that as a meal time beverage. I don't worry if he doesn't want much. I completely disagree w/ giving juice w/ water to get him to drink. I see that as akin to putting sugar in rice or on vegetables to get him to eat those. You should definitely dilute juice if your planning on feeding baby any because it's SO concentrated and SO sweet. But if your trying to get your baby to drink water. Just fed water w/ meals. I will tell you that since my son figured out how to use a straw, he's drinks more water. But I don't worry about it like I don't worry about how much solids he eats. And I give diluted juice like you would give a treat. Once in a while if has has a bad fall or is having an extremely rough teething time and i wan to to distract. HTH

I don't have much to add ... I'm in total agreement with everything DJ's Mom just posted! If you are nursing often (and you are) your babe doesn't need any extra fluids ... no matter the climate. Breastmilk is 88% water! And in the summer or hot temps your milk is actually a little more watery ... and during winter it's more creamy. Isn't it amazing? Our bodies know just what to do to properly care for our babies, and adjusts according to their needs.

And juice mixed into water I think would be unwise ... I know I want my little one to love water on it's own without needing to add a "sweetener" (and she does).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I, too, have a hard time knowing what the "should" is with water. Everyone here tells me to give a little water to 4 month old baby (super hot humid no aircon here) But, I wonder about it. Ped today said to give him some at midday. But, how would I know if he is thirsty? How will I know at 11 months?

Like original poster, I wish I knew there was one "should" theory on it. In the meantime, I guess I won't generally offer until he is old enough to make it his choice. But, I am planning on at least trying to see if he would take some water during really hot times of day when he is fussy and almost too sweaty to nurse (he gets upset, I think because its so dang hot, evening and morning and night time feedings are much calmer).

Anyway, I think if at 11 months he drinks what he wants and is nursing as he wants, its probably enough. Though my ped again emphasized today that my 4 month old won't nurse just because of thirst, I don't know if that's true. I will feel more comfortable when he can choose or not to drink water if he is thirsty.

Jeanne

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I put a sippy cup (yes a sippy cup ) of water on my 7-month old dd's tray when she gets her solids. Because I noticed, when we started a daily regimen of solids just before 6 months, that her poops were harder and she was straining a lot more to move them.

I had read that water is a good way to help babies with constipation, just like it helps adults. She still nurses before each of her two solid meals, and at least 6-8 other times during the day and night, but the added water has helped her process the solids.

It also helps her soak the front of her onesies, as she alternates swallowing the water with blowing raspberries with it, just for fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by snort View Post
    How much water should an 11month old bb drink in a humid (90%) clime? He takes 2 solids a day but barely drinks more than 1/4 oz of water each meal. He bf about 5x to 7x a day still in varying amounts.
    Hello, snort!

That amount of water is totally fine! As long as your baby's stools are not hard and difficult to pass, you can assure that your baby is getting enough fluids.

Some babies don't require extra fluids, some require a little more with the start of solids (to prevent constipation). Follow your baby's cues. You'll know what is best. The key is to not offer so much water that baby fills up on it and takes in less of the "good stuff".

My DD also did not drink much water till she was an year old. Around that time, I introduced the straw cup and she drinks well now. Initially I thought that she didn't like water but now I figure that the sippy cup was not the right choice for her. I would suggest that you try using a straw cup or regular cup and see if that makes your child drink more.

I had a similar expeience as the pp. My DD would not take water until I introduced a cup and a straw at one year. I would take everyone's advice to heart and then make the decision right for your little one.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

My DS is 7 months old and LOVES water. I give it in a regular cup (he does make a mess, lol) with any solid foods he eats. Babies don't NEED water however it's good for them to get used to drink a bit of water when they eat.

I personally disgaree with the bit of juice to the water, but that's my personal opinion. There is concern with that that the baby won't like to drink plain water ever. However, I do on occasion add a bit of breastmilk to flavor the water.

Follow your heart.... Your mommy instincts will guide the way!

Yup, I didn't give Emily anything to drink at all until she was almost 8 months old and then only water. For her birthday when she turned one she had some juice, a splash in her water, as a treat. I will give her a little spalsh of juice in her sippy if she is really cracnky and I need her to be happy for a bit, like in the sling at the grocery store. Otherwise, she has a sippy of water with her all the time. She doesn't drink it much but chews on it to entertain herself throughout the day. Aside from the health benefits, and they, imo, are extremely significant, of giving only water.... it means that the dribble all over her shirt, arms, car seat, etc is just water!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...