Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 Weeks and needing help!

Default 4 Weeks and needing help!

My daughter is 4 weeks old and I have been EBF since we left the hospital. When she was first born she lost almost an entire pound, but was able to gain it back within a week. Now at four weeks old she hasn't gained hardly any weight even though I nurse her whenever she wants or acts hungry. I am being pressured by family to start giving formula. I have been trying to pump, taking Fenugreek tablets, normal prenatals plus a DHA tablet, and even started drinking mothers milk tea. I am at a loss of what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 4 Weeks and needing help!

congrats on your baby! Pressure is so hard to deal with, I have a few questions, how do you know she hasn't gained anything? Are you weighing her on a hospital scale? Also what is he diaper output like in a 24 hour period? Output is the best indicator of a problem or not. Is she having 6 or more wet diapers in a 24 hour period and 1 poop diaper per day?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you! She has been weighed twice on the same scale. (it is an older baby scale not hospital scales) On a normal day she has at least 7 wet diapers and a minimum of one blowout diaper sometimes more. This is my first child and I have my heart set on being able to EBF.

It sounds like you are on the right track! It's hard at first to trust your body

Check these links out
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

hang in there!
    Weight loss can be scary thats for sure!

could we talk about her nursing habbits?
    how many times in 24 hours are you putting her to the breast?
    IS she very sleepy all the time?

Some babies are very "laid back" and just need a little bit of help learning to nurse and thats ok.

Diaper output sounds good! I'd be a bit suspicious of your scale, based on that. But I'm with Andrea that a close look at your baby's nursing habits is a good idea. Is she sleepy or jaundiced? And how is nursing going aside from the weight gain issue- is nursing painful at all? Any other issues? Oh, and what color is your baby's poop, generally? Mustardy yellow, or greenish or brownish?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It has taken a long time to remember to respond, but we found out through a long hard way that my daughter had an upper frenulum tie. Through tons of internet searching we were able to discover the problem and have it diagnosed. We were able to get it clipped and can proudly say that we were able to continue nursing. My daughter is now 13 months old and still nursing while I am three months pregnant with my second child. After we had her lip clipped all of our problems seemed to disappear as soon as it healed (which only took three days!). We also learned that since my DD was born with very dark meconium staining in the water that she introduced bacteria to me which caused me to get an infection back in my milk ducts.