Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared about tomorrow's weight check...

Default Scared about tomorrow's weight check...

Hi mamas,

Tomorrow I'll be taking my LO in for a weight check after having not supplemented him for over a week. I am so scared that he will have not gained or anything, or worse, have lost weight. I've been battling to get my supply up since he was born, and this week he'll be three months old, so it's been quite a struggle. I'm so afraid that I'll need to start supplementing him again, and that the battle isn't over. Please send me your prayers (or positive energy, or whatever else you do that you think might help) that DS will have gained at least a half an ounce per day in the last week of EBF.

Thanks!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: Scared about tomorrow's weight check...

I will for sure. Let us know how it goes
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

s and sending lots of good thoughts your way!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

My LO has lost 5 oz. in 6 days. I am devastated. It looks like I'll have to supplement him after all.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

I'm so sorry Mama.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Are you sure it is a supply issue and not a milk transfer issue (which would eventually lead to low supply)?

So sorry
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks, mamas. I know it's not a transfer issue... DS has no problems draining my breasts. Apparently there's just not enough there to sustain him. Now I get to worry about how much to supplement him without compromising my current supply, but still getting him the nourishment he needs to grow.

I can't believe he lost so much weight. Have I damaged my baby??
    :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aidansmama View Post
    My LO has lost 5 oz. in 6 days. I am devastated. It looks like I'll have to supplement him after all.
    Im so sorry

We too had a set back so LO is staying at same amount of supps for now (we had ben decressing for the past 3 weeks)

hang in there hopefully we will both have great success stories before too long
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aidansmama View Post
    I can't believe he lost so much weight. Have I damaged my baby??
    It's upsetting to see a negative effect when you're trying so hard to do what's best for him. You haven't damaged him though. You're keeping a close eye on it and making the adjustments you need to make. A week isn't going to harm his development. He'll gain it back and he'll be fine.

I'm sorry you're going through this.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--