Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly pumping less

Default Suddenly pumping less

I have a 7 1/2 month old and I've been pumping at work 2 times a day since I returned to work when he was 4 months old. For the last month and a half I was easily pumping a total of 10-12 ounces which he would eat while I was at work, usually at one feeding!!! Recently, the last 10 days, I have just barely been pumping 10 oz and that is with a lot of work on my part. In addition, my nipples have become very sore and sensitive, which they were not before. Work has become more stressful, but that isn't going to change and I remove myself as much as possible (love my ipod touch for that) when I pump.

Should I be worried that my pumping supply is less than it was and I am more sore? Or will my son conceivably make up for less milk from pumping when he is on the breast before and after I work?

Thanks

Default Re: Suddenly pumping less

He will probably make up for it, esp at night. Does he nurse at night still? Does he seem satisfied at the breast?

You may want to take a pregnancy test. Decreased supply, sore nipples...
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

If you havn't gotten your period back, it may be on it's way back now - hence the soreness and drop in supply.

What do you do about it?

*Mourn the return of Ms. Monthly
    *Don't stress as much about the drop in suppy - if you are like me production will return to normal the day your period starts
    *Maybe try eating oatmeal and drinking extra water to encourage your supply if you really need it
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

I'm in the same boat! On Tuesday and Wednesday this week I only pumped 9 ounces in the morning (usually 10-13), today I only pumped 5.5 ounces so I added another morning session and got 3 ounces. So, I'm only at 8.5 today.

My guess is that my period is on it's way back, but I still feel stressed. Which obviously doesn't help.

You're not alone