Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Contrast MRI and cannot breastfeed for 48 hours

Default Contrast MRI and cannot breastfeed for 48 hours

Unfortunately, I have to get a MRI with contrast and the doctor states that I cannot breastfeed for 48 hours. My six month old daughter is exclusively breastfed and refuses bottles. To make matters worse she starts daycare the same day. I am scared that she is going to be traumatized and hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Contrast MRI and cannot breastfeed for 48 hours

do you have a pumed supply for the next 2 days? you can try using an SNS but instead of on the nipple put it on your finger?

and dont forget to pump'n'dump those 48 hours so you r supply doesnt tank
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

thanks for your reply....yes, thank goodness I have a two day supply handy.

Your doctor's recommendation may be overly-conservative. This website seems to suggest that the amount of the contrast material that is excreted in breastmilk is very low, and that even if the mother is still concerned, the amount of time to abstain is only 24 hours.

http://www.mrisafety.com/safety_article.asp?subject=173

Dr. Hale, who is an expert on medications for breastfed mothers, also thinks the risk is negligible, and states 10 hours.

http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/conten.../ask-dr-hale-5

I highly, highly recommend you call his center, InfantRisk, this is their area of expertise!!

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.