Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and working full time from home - NO weight loss. TIPS?

Default Breastfeeding and working full time from home - NO weight loss. TIPS?

I work full time from home and I am taking care of our 4 month old all day with no help. My husband works until 6 and goes to the gym, getting home at 8 and is upset I do not work out right now and have not lost anymore baby weight. My day consists of taking care of baby, working 8-5 and taking care of every thing at home. My husband doesn't help with anything unless I complain. I have had mastitis 4 times now in both breasts. I am eating as healthy as I can, if I don't eat enough I don't produce enough milk.

How do you all find balance and the ability to lose the baby weight?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and working full time from home - NO weight loss. TIPS?

Well, my husband helps out. He works full time, does ALL the cooking, gets home as soon as he gets off work, etc. We actually work at the same company, so on the three days I'm working right now we drive in together. On my days off I'm home with both kids. He still does the cooking on those days.

We just had our second baby 2 months ago, so things are a bit off kilter. He was going to the gym at 5:00 AM a few times per week, but that's shot right now. He has night-time duty with our 2.5 year old.

My personal plan is to start getting up at 5 a few times a week to take the dogs for a walk/run. I'm not sure when my husband is going to fit his work outs in, we're thinking a couple times a week right after work.

I think you have an issue with your husband not helping out, not with not being able to lose weight.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Breastfeeding and working full time from home - NO weight loss. TIPS?

If anyone can tell you how to find that balance, let me know, because I haven't lost all the baby weight from my FIRST baby, let alone my second.

But you are by yourself with the baby and the house and your work from whenever he leaves for work (7ish?) until 8pm, and he wants to know why you don't work out?!? I have a few things I'd like to call him, but this is a family friendly forum.

In the short term, if YOU want to go to the gym, I would say you guys need to trade off nights; every other night he gets to go, then you get to go.

A friend of mine is a member of a gym with child care. That may be an option for you, since your daytime hours may be more flexible - understanding that you have TWO jobs, your job and your baby. Three if you include all the house work.

Walks outside can help. Do you jog? Do you have a jogging stroller?

I think you need to have a long talk w/ your husband.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Oh yeah - jeno, I forgot about house work. We pay someone to clean our house every two weeks. We were going to kill eachother when Lilah was about 6 months old. Cleaning ladies solved that problem!
    Tracie

Mommy to

I always figured that it took at least 9 months to put that wieght on and its going to take at least that long to get rid of it.
    I'm just happy I didn't gain 10 extra lbs this winter like I did the last 2 or 3 years.

Maybe just making a few changes in your diet would help?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Oh yeah - jeno, I forgot about house work. We pay someone to clean our house every two weeks. We were going to kill eachother when Lilah was about 6 months old. Cleaning ladies solved that problem!
    Oh, we totally do this too. I always promised myself that I would hire cleaning help when I made partner at work or when I had a kid, whichever came first - they happened one day apart
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I think too if baby isn't sleeping well at night its wise not to over do it with the exersice!

I think you need to sit down with DH and discuss some of life's realities. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but it'd be helpful if you could get to the 'why' of why he's so upset about you not working out Right Now. I'd bet there is much more to it than just the working out... its just the easiest thing for him to point to now rather than having to sort through the muddling world of 'why is this actually bothering me SO much?'

I know for my DH, he was supportive but he didn't fully grasp the work involved in looking after our DD. Maybe having him take baby for a bit to take care of solo will help if he's under the mistaken impression of 'babies are easy'

Its also worth remembering that stress interferes with your whole body, influences your metabolism, and can make it not only hard to loose weight and get into shape. It can also set you up for getting injured easier. I would be very careful with how you start to exercise... walking, lifting lighter weights, etc.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

This was an encouraging thread. My husband is very supportive and doesn't ask me to work out - I am able to squeeze it in somehow (I just do a 20 minute video, Jillian Michaels 30 day shred currently). My problem is that I'm on a weight plateau, and I know it will gradually come off... I just need to stop eating I guess! :-P our 7 month old is still not sleeping well at night AT all and so I am perpetually exhausted, which I think is not helping the weight loss. My husband is also not sleeping and not getting his usual work out in (he's a work out fiend- used to work out 3 hrs a day before marriage, then 2 hrs, and now with a baby he's trying to fit in 1 1/2 hr sessions in our home gym!). If he doesn't work out, he gets depressed, but when he gets home late from work, he feels like he's abandoning me if he goes and works out. Guilt is such a great thing, huh. So we are trying to figure out a happy balance. Any thoughts?

I hate to break it to you ladies, but Lilah was 18 months old before I saw glimpses of this "balance" you are speaking of.

Seriously though, the only thing you can do is work it out with your partner. If you want 30 minutes or an hour a day or three times a week when they take care of the baby and you work out or whatever, then figure it out with them.
    Tracie

Mommy to