Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: IGT, Goats Rue, will it work?

Default IGT, Goats Rue, will it work?

I was recently diagnosed with insufficient glandular tissue. I started Goats Rue on Saturday (4 days ago). Ihavenot noticed any increase in my supply (which has always been abt 1oz every 3hrs pumping). I have noticed my breasts feel firmer and I have had some tingling and shooting pains similar to when I first started breastfeeding. I think it is a good sign, but I am wondering why the milk hasn't increased. Has anyone had a similar experience? How much increase can I expect at best? I can't imagine I'm going to be making more than I need but that would really be a dream come true!v

Default Re: IGT, Goats Rue, will it work?

How do you get diagnosed with that? I feel like I've tried everything...from pumping every couple hours or pumping after feedings, mother's milk tea, fenugreek, beer (brewer's yeast and hopps), and Reglan and I can't seem to make enough to satisfy my 15 week old. We've been supplementing formula from the start and now we're up to 16-20 oz of supplement per day. I can pump about 10 oz when we're NOT bfing, like when I go to work. I only pump about 3 oz when we ARE bfing like when I'm at home all day.

My LC is out of suggestions and I'm pretty sure my OB is tired of talking to me about this. She and I disagree about whether the IUD I just had her remove played a role in my already-low-but-still-diminishing milk supply. I'm seriously starting to think there is something "not right" about my ability to produce milk...I figured it was hormonal but maybe it's physiological?

I spoke with an LC. Tuesday I have an an appointment with a doctor and having my prolactin levels tested. Still no increase...I am under immense stress at work too, I am actually quitting in a few days because of it. So reducing my stress and more baby time should also help.

While I do not know whether Goats' Rue will work (I have never tried it) I can tell you that I have done a lot of research and expirimentation with the most famed and popularly used galactagogues and not got good results from them. What DID work for me is a combination of ground aniseed & milk thistle tea and this product:
    http://milkflow.co.uk/ (go to the page for a free sachet and fill out the form, don't worry about the fact that it doesn't go to a check out page just fill it out.) I have inadequate glandular tissue in one of my breasts as well but I now feed my son with 100% EBM...AFTER re-inducing lactation from scratch, to boot. I don't have much to spare, mind you, but he manages to get 100% breastmilk at 5 months, so it works. Hope this helps-GOOD LUCK hon and DO NOT GIVE UP
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Question Re: IGT, Goats Rue, will it work?

Well, here's a little update. I met with the lactation doctor, she confirmed IGT but she said I do have some breast tissue. She doesn't think there is anything at this point that I can do more than than I am already doing to make any more milk. Baby is 5mo and all the hormones that increase milk are starting to fade. Her advice: nurse when I can and enjoy baby. I know this is what I pretty much already knew, but it is still so saddening to me. I did have more success with this baby than with my first so it seems I am gaining more breast tissue during my pregnancies...so maybe the next baby will have a better chance. One thing I do want to say is that LLL leaders need to be more educated about this condition and be able to offer better support to women who may have it. I feel like I was being judged for not having enough milk because I was just giving her too much formula. It is a very difficult thing to accept when you dream your whole life of breastfeeding exclusively and it just isn't possible. I still have not noticed any increase in my milk so im not going to pay for all the herbal suppliments. I will be a stay at home mom for the first time starting in a week and I am looking forward to lots of snuggle time with my two girls.