Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply

Default Low supply

I need help. I'm away from my 3 month old because of my work, I have to be away for 2 months before my family is able to move where I'm at. I am pumping to keep my supply up so when we are united I will be able to nurse him and I am storing my milk to ship home to my husband so he can feed our son without using formula. I tried Reglan but it caused me to have severe anxiety and depression. My son is the only one of my children that I have been able to exclusively feed breastmilk to. If it wasn't for my family needing the money I would be home right now with my son but we have 7 children we have to suppport so I need to work this job and pump until June when they can finally join me. I have used Mother's Milk Tea and Fenugreek but I'm not sure how much I should be taking. Please anybody who can help let me know. I don't want my son to be put on formula, especially with all the recalls. Thank you in advance for any advice I receive.

Default Re: Low supply

This is my go-to link when troubleshooting pumping problems: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0129797...ellymom.com%2F

With fenugreek, you should take enough that your sweat and urine smell of maple syrup. If money is a concern, I suggest using whole seed (example: http://www.amazon.com/Om-India-Plaza...1506110&sr=8-4). It's much cheaper than the pills and also fresher. Just swallow the dry seed whole, or make a tea w/ 1 tblsp. seed in a cup of hot water, and then chug the wet seeds when you're done.

Any chance you could at least keep your baby with you during this period? 2 months off from the breast at this early age... There's a risk your baby could get hooked on bottles and decide not to take the breast when you're reunited.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What kind of pump do you have?

How often and for how long are you pumping right now?

How much are you getting in a 24hr period? How much is your husband giving him?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I wish he could be with me right now but I work 3 states away and my husband can't come until our other kids are out of school. My husband can travel every three weeks to spend the weekend with me so during that time when they are there all I do is focus on nursing my son. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Mama, you're a trooper. Keep up the good work. You'll never look back on this time and be ashamed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    What kind of pump do you have?

How often and for how long are you pumping right now?

How much are you getting in a 24hr period? How much is your husband giving him?
    I'm using the Madela double pump that I received from WIC but I'm looking in to renting a hospital grade one because I was told they work better than most pumps on the market. I am able to pump every 3 hours and get about 5 ounces, sometimes less, total. My baby boy is drinking about 6 ounces every 2 1/2 hrs now. While I'm at work I'm only able to pump for 15 minutes but when I'm in my hotel I try to pump for 20-30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, you're a trooper. Keep up the good work. You'll never look back on this time and be ashamed.
    Thank you for the advice, I'm going to go buy the Fenugreek seeds right away.

It doesn't sound like your supply is low at all - I think 5 oz every 3 hours is great. How many oz. a day are you able to send back to your son? Kellymom says average daily intake for a baby is 25 oz. total.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

When I miss a feeding, I usually only get 3.5 oz or so when I get home (more if I am away more than a couple of hours and miss 2 feedings). I have only ever offered him 4 oz. or less in any one bottle and he's almost 6 months old...
    DS October 2010
    0 days: 7lbs6oz, 20"
    4 days: 6lbs8oz
    2 months: 11lbs4oz, 22.75"
    4 months: 13lbs5oz, 25"
    6 months: 14lbs14oz, 26.5"
    9 months: 16lbs13oz, 27.75"