Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

Default Re: EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

I don't think you're starving him. What if you supplement him with pumped milk after a feeding instead of formula? And if you're pumping at the same time that he's getting the bottle, then you wouldn't be losing your supply.

Can you call the La Leche League leader and ask her for recommendations for a lactation consultant?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't think you're starving him. What if you supplement him with pumped milk after a feeding instead of formula? And if you're pumping at the same time that he's getting the bottle, then you wouldn't be losing your supply.

Can you call the La Leche League leader and ask her for recommendations for a lactation consultant?
    I can barley meet the needs of 15 oz for the following day. I have to work and I get between 6-8 oz while Im at work and right after he eats if i pump I dont get anything. maybe a drop maybe. and he seems satisfied but then again it might be wishfull thinking.

The only time i can honelsty say he has a fit is at night before bed and he is fighting sleep.

I don't think a hungry baby will seem satisfied. I really don't. And I don't think formula is evil either, I just think you should make sure that there is a problem before you start supplementing.

Tracie

Mommy to

I don't think a hungry baby will seem satisfied. I really don't. And I don't think formula is evil either, I just think you should make sure that there is a problem before you start supplementing.

right what she said.. You guys can do this.
    But what about his weight. What should I do there

feed more often when your together.
    I think your milk output when your apart sounds good 16 oz is great.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

from that link some great ideas

•Stop or decrease solid foods, particularly if baby is younger than 6 months. Most solids foods have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk, plus they tend to replace (rather than add to) the higher-calorie, more nutritious breastmilk.
    •Sleep with your baby (this increases prolactin and frequency of nursing).
    •Learn baby massage -- this has been proven to improve digestion and weight gain.
    •Carry baby throughout the day in a carrier/sling; get as much skin to skin contact as you can. Both of these things have been shown to improve weight gain.
    •Nurse often - at least every 2 hours during the day and at least once at night. Frequent nursing increases baby's milk intake.
    •Make sure you're allowing your baby to completely finish one side before you offer the other by waiting upon her cues that she is finished; i.e. pulling off herself and looking satisfied, going to sleep, changing from an active suck/swallow to more of a pacifier suck, etc. Always OFFER the second side, but don't worry if she doesn't seem to need it. It's much more important that she be allowed to completely finish one side than that she nurse both sides. By doing so she will be assured of reaching enough of the richer, more caloric hindmilk that helps her to go longer between feedings.
    •Use breast massage and breast compression during nursing.
    •Pump or hand express for a couple of minutes before nursing. This will remove some of the foremilk so that your baby receives more of the richer, higher calorie hindmilk.
    •If supplements are medically indicated, breastmilk is preferred over formula as a supplement (exceptions to this are rare), and the average fat/calorie content of mom's milk is higher than that of formula. Mom can pump for 5-10 minutes after nursing (don't interrupt or shorten the nursing session to do this), and offer this higher-fat hindmilk to baby as needed. This is also an option for moms who normally offer expressed milk when they are separated from baby.

when does he want you back to check weight again?
    Since he's been sick I bet if you just feed more often he will quickly put on some weight and get the doctor off your back

Lightbulb Re: EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

The other problem you're going to have if you give him formula is that your supply is going to go way way down. If you give him 2 ounces of formula, and he eats it, that is 2 ounces that your body is not going to make. And if you do it after every feeding you are going to be in a position to lose your supply very quickly.

I know you said you can't really see a different pediatrician. What about a lactation consultant?

Potentially there is a problem with your supply, but until you hear that from someone you trust and someone who supports breastfeeding, it's hard to believe it. He's giving you some really bad advice. I'm sorry you are in this situation.
    x1000. 15 oz sounds like a lot. Does he eat all of that? How long are you gone? Your baby does sound on the small side but that in itself does not necessarily need to be a huge concern. But it could also be a sign of other thIngs too. That's why it's so important you see someone irl who is knowledgable about BF. And from every thing you've said that is NOT your pedi.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Was your baby born at term?

Can you post birth weight and as many weights (with age in weeks) as you can remember?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Where was his weight on the chart at birth, 1mo, etc? Has he always been around the 5% mark? After 4mos the growth curve of BF babies does start to level out a bit (4-5oz per week gain). If he's meeting milestones and growing in length and head circum. then I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it yet.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

HE was 8 lbs 3oz 21 1/2 inches long at birth. lost only a little weight and was in like the 40th percentile. he was good for his second or first well baby. and what not then in jFeb? they noticed he wasnt going so fast in the right direction.

But he was still growing like he is now. Just slow. So they said ok. Come back in one month instead of the 2. HE grew 1 inch in height and his head grew. But he isnt really on the chart in weight. and his height is off to im guessing.

He is now 12 lbs 3.1 oz 24.75 inches "one inch up from 23.75 He is 5 months old. Born Oct 29 full term. Had to have csection he was actually a week late. and i wanted natural and labor didnt progress good enough fast enough for the ob so he said your going down for c section.

HE seems happy generally. BUT he does like to be held alot and doesnt like being left alone to play for more than 15 mins at the most. and he doesnt like being put on his back alot. he likes the belly more. But is really happy and hardly fusses less he is hungry if i carry him or we dont put him down.

He generally eats every 2 hours. Some times here lately it seems he does eat sooner but then its like there is a nap after that?? So i dont know if hes tanking up for his nap or not. But he eats when he wants and he is generally the one that pulls off and looks around and what not before I dont offer any more. Sometimes I try 4 or so times then I tuck the girls back in. Also he has gotten tired of me putting the boobs in his face one night.

He was acting a little fuzzy so I thought he was hungry and he finally shoved htem and smaked. So i put them away got up and walked into another room he laughed played with my hair then finally he farted and burped.."my husband thought i was nuts cuz i almost cried when I thought I wasnt doing it for him.

There are some days that he likes to "and hes is almost a sleep" to just suck. I mean if i take it out he makes a face like ugh whered it go "eyes closed still" and will suck in his sleep on his tounge or whatever they do, Then just sleep.

The only problem most ppl have is he likes to be held. NO HE LOVES IT> Its hard right now and I dont want to go against the dr. HE did say I didnt have to do this. I texted the lactation consultant and will talk with her before I give him anymore formula. he didnt look like it was his favorite anyways THANKS LADIES

I was wondering if you had any weight points in between birth and now, so that we can see what his percentiles have been on the "real" chart
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Both of my babies wanted/want to be held all the time. My 2.5 year old is small, was always small and was always sent with more milk than she would drink while apart from me. My 2 month old is a bigger baby than my first was, and I am not sure how much she will end up drinking while apart from me. They both have more than enough to eat - I tend towards oversupply. And both of them have wanted to be held all the time. It is NATURAL for a baby to want to be held. And 15 minutes of alone time playing sounds about right for that age.
    Tracie

Mommy to