Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

Unhappy EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

So we went for the weight in at the drs office and Baby has only gained 10 oz in 26 days. Dr says that that is room for concern, hes in less than the 5th percentile..

But that he has grown a whole inch and his head is growing. and that he is on par with all of his motor skills for his age and that he looked reall

He wants me to try and give baby a bottle of formula after each nursing session. "i have heard that even a baby that is growing with no concerns will still accept a bottle"

I asked the Dr if he was using a chart for breastfed babies and he said that there wasnt such a thing. That all babies formula and breastfed should be growing the same. He also said that him and the other drs on the s(((( dont agree with the aap about the new guidelines about feeding babies.

So I did let him have 2 oz but you know, He took a nap, he was tired in the first place and fussy "he has started to fight sleep" and he still woke up two hours later. then he just nursed to sleep.

He said that maybe baby was waking up every 2-3 hours is because he needs the calorie intake and that most babies are sleeping through the night, that Samuel should be to. But I told him he sleeps quite a bit 3-4 hours in the moring when I am gone to work.
    Also at night he doesnt fully wake up, I should have told doc that he more does it for comfort I think because I checked last night and he would wiggle and then not really fuss but i would pick him up and nurse him and he fall back asleep with in 10 mins.

I pumped like the dickens last night. like every hour from 10-3 almost then I knew I had to work so I didnt do it after three. But Then I did do it at 5 somthing and got an ounce. This is with him nursing inbetween these pumpings.

What can I do. I am on reglan just because at his well baby the dr said he was on the small side and went off his curve and to add more to his bottles. WHich he is now taking 15 oz divided into 3 bottles. He goes every 3 hours when I am away and generall every 2 hours when hes with me. I started fenugreek before for the pump out put but now and using it religiously with half the amount of blessed thistle because I am afraid

HE is 5 months old this week, he seems to be having the normal amount of diapers. A few super soaked so bad they come out of his clothes generally this is when he first wakes up. then moderalty after that. about 8 a day at least for the most part that I can tell. and his poops are always weird they are a few burst here and there and then he has one or two major ones in 7 days.

What can I do. I am goind to be checked when ever I ahve a chance to talk with a dr about thyroid, though we dont have a family history, about ppd and what ever else. "i had a csection birth so I dont think that there is any placenta left. PLEASE HELP ME THANKS IN ADVANCE Also how would I go about having a session watched or to see if this is the reason.....I dont want my nursing relationship with son to end. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH.
    Last edited by @llli*SamuelsMom; March 30th, 2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: MIssed information added in some info

Default Re: EXPERT HELP NEED ASAP>>Sorry Long any thing is appreciated

doctors sometimes are clueless about breastfeeding babies.
    hang in there
    this link might be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

has your baby been sick? sometimes when they are sick even with a cold or teething their wieght gain will slow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    doctors sometimes are clueless about breastfeeding babies.
    hang in there
    this link might be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

has your baby been sick? sometimes when they are sick even with a cold or teething their wieght gain will slow.
    HE seemed to be teething since he was a little over 2 months old with shoving things in his mouth and biting really bad with some mild to heavy fussiness that orajel seems to help. But that IS all and he had rsv awhile back.

But it seemed to dip when I went back to work.

how long are you gone? there are some realy good hints in that link.
    Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*SamuelsMom View Post
    He also said that him and the other drs on the s(((( dont agree with the aap about the new guidelines about feeding babies.
    This is a huge red flag for me.

Normally I recommend this as a last resort - mostly because I think most MDs are clueless about breastfeeding (as PP said), and you have to go to SOMEONE, right? - but I'd think about switching pedis. I mean, he DOESN'T AGREE WITH THE AAP's RECS about feeding?!? It would be one thing if the AAP didn't agree w/ something you were doing, but this is the opposite.

Also, I read somewhere recently that the AAP is either recommending or considering to recommend that the WHO growth charts be used instead of the CDC charts, mainly because the CDC charts were drawn up using formula fed babies and aren't a reflection of the way babies "in real life" should be growing. So if he says "there's no such thing", then he is seriously clueless.

If you really like him in all other things, you could try educating him (bring him WHO charts with your baby's growth plotted, etc); otherwise, I would ditch him.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

It was the CDC, not the AAP. In other words, the CDC is ditching its own charts!!!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

with jeno. Huge red flag

Start looking for a new ped ASAP. one who understands about breastfeeding and looks at the individual child and not just the chart.

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

that most babies are sleeping through the night

I think this is hogwash too...

But what about his weight. What should I do there. I dont want it to start affecting him metally if that is that case that hes not getting enough?

HE was talking about waiting 6months to start solids. Im so scared imma screw my kid up. The only other option that I have is to travel to see a dr. Im so scared and I dont want this on top of all things to affect my baby.

Also Im really worried about the formula intake after he eats from me if htat is the case that they would take it no matter what if they take a bottle???

HE did say that my son may just be on the small side but try formula. But I dont want to do formula if its just gunna make him fat, but him not actually being that fat baby?? YA get me?? IF he was ment to be that lil skinny kid then I dont wanna over chunck him ???

The other problem you're going to have if you give him formula is that your supply is going to go way way down. If you give him 2 ounces of formula, and he eats it, that is 2 ounces that your body is not going to make. And if you do it after every feeding you are going to be in a position to lose your supply very quickly.

I know you said you can't really see a different pediatrician. What about a lactation consultant?

Potentially there is a problem with your supply, but until you hear that from someone you trust and someone who supports breastfeeding, it's hard to believe it. He's giving you some really bad advice. I'm sorry you are in this situation.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months