Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at Sea World

Default Pumping at Sea World

Kaitlyn's school has a field trip to SW in a month and my sister has offered to babysit the baby while I take K. He will be 14 weeks old. SW is about 20 mins from my sister's house and I can nurse him right before we leave and when we get back... so he and I will be apart from about 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Five hours.

I know he will need a bottle from her during that time so do I need to pump while I am at SW? If so, should I just bring my manual pump and put the milk in a cooler? He has gone 5-7 hours w/out nursing (overnight) before and I don't get super engorged anymore so I'm not worried about my comfort, but I don't want to hurt supply. Would one trip away from him for 5-6 hours w/out pumping hurt it?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Pumping at Sea World

you might be surprised that during the DAY going 5-7 hours might cause you to get engorged. Your body regulated to going thru the night but not the day yet. I would take a pump just to be sure!

Any way you can take baby with you this way you just have to nurse him? I would think nursing would be easier then lugging a pump around the whole time

good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

could your sis go to sea world?
    How old will he be at that time?

Yes you'd need to pump. Your body is used to nursing all day. Take the pump and either save the milk or dump it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with the PPs. Going 5 hours during the day without nursing means needing to pump, or you're likely to end up with decreased supply or become engorged. You'd want to pump about as often as your LO nurses. If I had to choose between taking the baby in a sling and nursing on the go, or hauling around a pump and a cooler... I'd definitely choose taking the baby! I just think it would be infinitely easier. I mean, let's say you're at SW with no baby and it's time to pump or you can feel yourself getting uncomfortable. But where do you pump? And who's going to watch Kaitlyn while you do it? And assuming you do find a clean, private place to pump, and someone to watch K, it takes 10-20 minutes to pump and meanwhile the field trip is proceeding without you. You have to go find them again when you're done. Whereas if you have the baby in a sling, you discreetly latch the baby on, and 10 minutes later you're done and he's either napping in the sling or looking around him, all perky and interested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Normally I would take him, but I really appreciated the offer from my sister to watch him and Kaitlyn could use some mommy time. I'll bring the pump to help out partway through. It's technically a field trip but everyone goes at their own pace so I'm not worried about catching up, and TBH since this is with Kaitlyn's preschool I would probably go to nurse in one of the rooms instead of NIP anyway. I am far more comfortable NIP around strangers than people I know!

I'll figure it out. Good to know I need to pump though. I'm glad I get good results with my little Harmony.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

do they have lockers you could lock the pump in so you didn't have to carry it aournd the whole day?

IF I went that long with out nursing I would be missrable!

Do you get plugged ducts? I would make sure you could rest alot the next day...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    do they have lockers you could lock the pump in so you didn't have to carry it aournd the whole day?

IF I went that long with out nursing I would be missrable!

Do you get plugged ducts? I would make sure you could rest alot the next day...
    They do have lockers. My diaper bag is so big though and the manual pump is small... and I was already planning on bringing a cooler for snacks. I never had a plugged duct with Kaitlyn and I haven't had one yet with Jackson but knock on wood.

OK so now I am second-guessing my decision to go without him but I really think it would be special for Kaitlyn.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

My daughter is about the same age as your son - definite yes on having to pump.

I feel you on wanting to give your older child some "mommy" time - I think I'm going to have to do that w/ S soon, he's getting kind of cranky.

If you didn't want to keep the milk, you could just pump and dump; if the hand pump is small enough, could you just put it in your purse?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

go and have a grand time with her...