Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biting

Default Re: Biting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    i also hold LO's nostrils closed when she bites me. we kind of have a "chicken" match right there, with both of us clamped down, but she lets go first! usually she does so when she is done drinking or not wanting milk/playing around, so after that I put her down.
    A variation on this approach--I used the 'pull baby close' response because I was concerned DD might begin associating unpleasant interactions with bfing

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T029900.asp
    and more ideas
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

She stopped biting.

Round 2, a few months later with 4 new teeth, biting only when latching: probably not realizing she had teeth where there used to be just gums was the cause. She needed to learn a new way to latch. With Kellymom's advice, I began positioning her so she tilted her head way up to get the breast, which put her new teeth out of the way.

Round 3 biting again a few months later, and I'm sure it's because I'm pg and my supply has now dwindled to very low or sometimes none at all. She bites after suckling but not swallowing for a long time. I know she is secure with bfing so I respond with 'ouch'! and unlatch her with a pinky if it continues, and I always tell her to be 'gentle with mama' while using the sign for 'gentle'. She gets it, and returns to non-biting.

You can get through this
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: Biting

good tips here, bumping this thread. I just encountered biting yesterday and I didn't no what to do apart from saying no and removing her from the breast.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!