Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting

Default Biting

My LO is almost 10mo old now and he has 2 teeth on the bottom. I had to stop nursing for a while due to some medications i had to take and he was on formula. I pumped and dumped to keep my milk and well my supply still went down. Long story short we are back to nursing half time/formula half time. everytime i nurse him he bites me. I remove him and say No Biting! but he thinks im playing. I am getting so frustrated!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Biting

Does he do it when he is distracted? When he is hungry?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

DD did this when she got her first few teeth. I wonder if he does this with the bottle? I EP'd for the first 5 months. After she could breastfeed, I didn't give her any bottles for maybe a month and then when I tried to give her a bottle all she did was bite it. I guess thats kind of the complete opposite situation, though.

I know when I said, "No biting" I had to say it in a certain way. If I didn't say it calmly, in an assertive or matter of fact kind of way she would just laugh at me and keep doing it...

He is very distractable right now. He will nurse for a min or two and then pop off. I tell him NO BITING in a assertive voice but he still laughs at me. he did this before he had teeth, he would gum my nipple, or clamp down and yank on it i guess you would call it. and even then i would say no biting, i used calm voice, assertive and nothing as worked, i have even taken him off the breast and said no biting but then all he wil do is scream because he wants it. i will usually have a "time out" for a few min then give it back to him. most of the time when he screams at it and i take it away hes fine when he gets to nurse again. But here latley i cant seem to get him to stop. He screams cause he wants to nurse then he will for a few min then he just bites me again.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

I had this problem with my first and then my second baby. I actually don't think it works that well to try to tell a baby no biting. They are not ready to understand what that means. What worked for my first and now with my second is to nursue with your hand cupped behind the baby's head. As soon as they bite, immediately push the baby's face into your nipple so she can't breath. She will then unlatch. Do this everytime they bite and they will be conditioned to realize that it is not fun to bite because you can't breath or nurse. It has taken 4 or 5 times, but thjey will get it.

My 6 month old doesn't have any teeth yet, but she's already biting, too (it's going to be awesome when she gets her chompers ). The "No Biting" thing has zero effect so far for us, and the only thing that seems to make any difference is when I pinch her nose closed. I know it sounds a little mean, but I've never really been able to cover her nose when I pull her face into my breast. I don't actually pinch, but I close her nostrils, and she opens up immediately. She seems to do it less now, but it could be a coincidence...who knows. Anyway, might be worth a shot if other stuff isn't working
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2gavin-keean-alexis View Post
    He is very distractable right now. He will nurse for a min or two and then pop off. I tell him NO BITING in a assertive voice but he still laughs at me. he did this before he had teeth, he would gum my nipple, or clamp down and yank on it i guess you would call it. and even then i would say no biting, i used calm voice, assertive and nothing as worked, i have even taken him off the breast and said no biting but then all he wil do is scream because he wants it. i will usually have a "time out" for a few min then give it back to him. most of the time when he screams at it and i take it away hes fine when he gets to nurse again. But here latley i cant seem to get him to stop. He screams cause he wants to nurse then he will for a few min then he just bites me again.
    My son clamps down and pulls away (which doesn't feel pleasant) usually when he's done with one side and then I switch sides and he's fine until he's done nursing but tonight he started out that way on the first side and then nursed for a moment on the second side and started with that side too. My husband isn't being very supportive because he think my son should be weaned "now". I wanted to get him past the first year and then wean but if this keeps up I feel like I won't have an option (and my husband is the kinda of guy who would get so much satisfaction of telling me "I told you so"). Makes me want to cry really.

i also hold LO's nostrils closed when she bites me. we kind of have a "chicken" match right there, with both of us clamped down, but she lets go first! usually she does so when she is done drinking or not wanting milk/playing around, so after that I put her down.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My DS started biting me around 4 months. I would yelp and the tell him no and that seemed to work. He bit me again when he was about 8 months with his new, sharp, little teeth. I would yelp and say no bite. Each time he has bitten me, it's been because he wants to stop nursing and go off and do something else. He knows that biting me will get a reaction out of me, I don't think he does it accidentally. Now, I try to keep his attention on me if I feel he's not done nursing, but getting distracted. I know he understands what it means because when I tell him not to bite the furniture, remote, etc. he stops.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Mine's had a history of being a biter, too. We had a bout when her bottom 2 teeth came in and it took a week of using ALL the techniques described here to get her to quit.

The second bout started after she was offered a bottle (which she doesn't get too often.) She had forgotten how to get milk out of a bottle and ended up chomping at it to try to get the milk out, which Grandpa, in his ignorance, didn't see anything wrong with. Well, for the next week or so, I was back to battling the bite. We finally broke it using the same techniques and going back to spoon feeding DD when I'm not with her.

Anyway, my point is, sometimes having the two types on nipples offered to babies can be confusing. Especially if they are teething and want something to gnaw on, they may not realize that one kind is okay and the other is not. Have you ever tried cup feeding her? Like I said, we use a spoon, be that would be pretty cumbersome if we were doing 50/50 like you are. It might be worth a try. Especially at her age, she'll probably be learning to use a cup in a few months anyway. There are videos on youtube of how to cup-feed an infant, if you're interested in giving it a try.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010