Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaned, but need morning help.

Default Night weaned, but need morning help.

My little guy is just about to turn 2 and we co-sleep. I've successfully night weaned him by following Dr. Jay Gordon's plan - yay! The problem is, though, that his last nurse is at 9pm and so he's hungry by 5am. At 5am he nurses and does not stop until we get up (7/8am). While nursing he insists on picking and pinching and scratching my other nipple, which drives me CRAZY and hurts! When I try to set limits, he goes ballistic and wakes everyone up (two older brothers and dad) and gets himself worked up so much that he won't let me hold him and he just scratches and slaps and bites me. This morning I finally gave up and took him downstairs where I got him a snack and sippy cup of milk (no more sleep, though). This could be an acceptable solution except that the only snack I could get him to eat (and stop crying for) was Quaker rice chips. So not a very healthy breakfast.

I'm assuming he is hungry, but I've tried offering bananas and sippy cups after he's nursed a while or instead of nursing and he will not go for them. I realize that I need to set boundaries, but he seems genuinely very hungry. If I let him nurse for half an hour, is that enough? I'm wondering if I'm just not making enough milk to give him the calories he needs at that time. We only nurse at bedtime and in the morning, with a few extra sessions on the weekends. I've also tried nursing him later than 9pm, but he's not interested once he's asleep and it's not an option to keep him up later.

Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated as I really cannot stand this anymore. I need sleep.

Default Re: Night weaned, but need morning help.

do you go to bed when he does or do you stay up and carry on?
    Getting up early like that just might be a growth spurt.

TRy to tank him up before bed with some protien

Thank you for your reply!

I sometimes go to bed with him.

This has been going on since he night weaned almost two months ago, so I think it's more a chronic and circumstantial situation. I night weaned because he would not unlatch the entire night and fiddled with the other nipple all night, too. So, it's definitely a continuation of that habit (for lack of a better word).

I think in the rush to get everyone (3 boys) ready for bed (I do bedtimes solo b/c my husband works), I rarely make sure he's eaten much. So, that is a very good tip. I'll do my best to stuff him.

If has a good bedtime snack and then nurses to bed, how long can I expect he can go without nursing/eating? My other two nursed through the night until they were 3.5 so I'm clueless

Thanks again!!

We try to have dinner eaten by 7 pm and Lilah doesn't generally eat again until 6:30 or 7:00 AM the next day. She gets water at night if she wants, but nothing else. She's 2.5 years old...

I think this probably started when she was about 2, my DH took over nights because I was pregnant. In a way she was slowly weaned off milk at night because my milk disappeared due to pregnancy, although she still nursed until she was 25 months old.

ETA: The reason she doesn't get anything to eat/drink other than water is because my DH is doing nights. If she asked me for food or milk at night, I would probably give it to her.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

yeah my dd was older before she night weaned so I might not be much help with this one.

Because like you I had older ones that needed sleep for school I just couldn't let her cry and fuss cause she would wake up the whole house.

its tricky when they cut back to just a few times a day, by that point I had little to no milk and it just plain hurt to nurse then.
    Have you tried rolling over? sometimes that worked with my dd..
    She would roll over too but I do think her getting up was more with wanting to be in bed with somebody else not being hungery.

we used to sing this song too

11. I Sleep Till Morning
    Words Martha Cheney and Hap Palmer / Music: Hap Palmer

Chorus:
    I sleep 'til the morning
    I do not wake too soon
    I rest until the birdies sing
    Goodbye to the golden moon.

The day's a bright new pony to ride
    On paths that follow the sun
    From east to west we gallop along
    'Til day is all undone

Repeat Chorus

The night's a coach of silvery clouds
    That drifts me through my dreams
    I journey to a magical land
    'Til daylight softly gleams

Repeat Chorus

This is just my .02 so take it for what it's worth, but when you night-weaned him, you were training his body to not need to eat at night. Before when he was waking up, he WAS waking up hungry and you were training his body to not need to wake up and eat at those times (along with training him that he doesn't need that comfort either).

My DD2 is also night-weaned now but, like yours she wakes up around 4 or 5 and I let her nurse, but then she goes back to sleep until 7. If, like yours, she started wanting to nurse non-stop until 7, I would go back to the basics during that time of telling her, "not now" and holding her off until I'm okay with nursing her again. I also keep a sippy of water nearby and give her that option too. I'm not so concerned with hunger as thirst because she can make up those calories during the day.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you all for the suggestions and information!

I think I needed this period of transition after night weaning to realize that it's ok for me to set another limit. I was so used to having no limits when it came to breastfeeding. So, this morning I said no more after I nursed him for half an hour. He put up a big fuss and tried to bite me all over, but he fell asleep curled up to me in less than 5 minutes and we slept until 7:30. Ahhhh... it was glorious.

Thanks again!!!

That is great!! Well, except for the biting.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months