Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound like the beginnings of child led weaning?

Default Does this sound like the beginnings of child led weaning?

In January DD would nurse at least every hour including the night. Not for too long but still checking in.

This Sunday she went from nap time till bedtime without even asking to nurse! And I've noticed that in the last few weeks she hasn't really been nursing late afternoons or evenings until bed time. She is only nursing 3 or 4 times a night now that her teeth aren't bothering her, too.

She is 20 mos old so it's not like she's a little baby, but does this sound pretty normal for her age? I haven't done anything to try to get her to nurse less, no pacifiers, if I ask her to wait a few minutes because I'm cooking or something I then offer to nurse in the chair with her not just hope she forgets about it.

My goal was at least 2 years so this is probably good that she's down to 8-10 times in 24 hrs by now?

Thanks for any ideas/opinions. I'm not trying to wean her now, but it seems like she is cutting back all on her own. I just want some reassurance that it is OK and she is old enough to be doing this, it doesn't mean she doesn't need me anymore or that our nursing is almost done.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Does this sound like the beginnings of child led weaning?

yup sounds great!

She's (and You're) doing fine! My DD stopped wanting to nurse all the time and got more interested in snacking, playing, etc. Whatever. She's still not fully weaned but now most nights shes only nursing to sleep, not all night, but I also never did anything to change it either.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I noticed the frequency of Joe's nursing went down after 18 months. He still loves to nurse, but now he will go much longer without, and seems to sub solids and other liquids for mama's milk more (he'll ask for water sometimes instead of always milk). But he still nurses a lot, and I doubt he will truly self-wean for a long, long time. But it's nice to know he can go an evening without it, if he's having fun and gets some other food, because that takes some pressure off of me to NIP, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    She's (and You're) doing fine! My DD stopped wanting to nurse all the time and got more interested in snacking, playing, etc. Whatever. She's still not fully weaned but now most nights shes only nursing to sleep, not all night, but I also never did anything to change it either.
    Of course after I said this yesterday DD had to nurse 3x last night
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thank you! She has one cuspid very close to coming in and then just her 2 yr molars left. She still asks to nurse quite a bit but overall definitely decreasing and more interested in other activities like reading books or coloring.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.