Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated 18 month old

Default Frustrated 18 month old

the last few days my daughter has become very frustrated while nursing, in fact she has become to be very picky about how she nurses. She usually makes me get pillows or lay in the bed with her, she likes all the lights off and switching breasts at her own will. Mostly I accommodated her, but the last few days she has gotten more and more demanding and frustrated, she will push my breast out of her mouth and (try) back into my bra, even while she is shouting 'ninny'.

I realized I was putting more restrictions on nursing mainly with her having manners, and although she still nurses frequently (6-8 times during the day, 2-3 times at night) I didn't want to restrict her breast access too much in fear of pushing her to weaning. She has always had good nursing manners, and knows to be kind to me, is this just her age? Teething? these have never affected her before.....

Although my sisters/mother nursed toddlers this was the stage where they all weaned (they didn't like being clawed at) I don't want it to get too frustrating for the both of us. I will probably just ride it out.....
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Default Re: Frustrated 18 month old

Not sure that I can offer any advice but I can commiserate. My DD2 who is 15mos is the same way. She was always a "nurse on one side per session" kid but now I'm switching back and forth and back and forth multiple times per session. She does the same thing as your LO, pushed the breast away but then signs for more milk. So we switch sides, lather, rinse, repeat. I mostly just try to deal with it but if she's getting extremely demanding during a session I will put her down or put her in her crib if we are nursing in her room. When she asks for more milk I then find she's much more cooperative after this very brief "time out" of sorts.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

w/lilbirdie22 - Mollie was 17mo on 3/14 and is getting more demanding and odd in her nursing habits. She too calls them "ninny" and changes sides back and forth, particularly in bed (we cosleep). Mollie also nurses 4-5x per day and 2-3x thru the night. She has a more predictable behavior during the day - emptying one breast then switching to the other - but at night, she is weird , going back and forth, back and forth, like they are different flavors. This wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to roll over and back every time she switched, which averages every 2-3 minutes.

I don't know if I can give any advice either, but you are not alone. I have decided to just let it go and as long as she doesn't get rude about it just let her switch.

On a side note, Mollie did start nibbling while she looked up at me, and on occasion, pinching. I told her that if she hurt Mommy, the ninnies would be "all done" (she doesn't say "all gone"...it's "all done" - go figure). I know she still loves nursing, because as soon as I tell her that, she is good as gold!!
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 19 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 5 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

G
    Last edited by @llli*artistmomma; March 30th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Good luck, sounds like the time outs are a perfect solution.