Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help, 6 week old slurping nipple in/out of mouth

Default Please help, 6 week old slurping nipple in/out of mouth

Darn it! We had just kicked thrush and then my 6 week old got a fever and had to be hospitalized for three days on IV antibiotics. Long story short, he was nursing well but having a little trouble when my breasts were full because of the forceful letdown. Starting a couple of days ago he is slurping my nipples in and out when he nurses, almost like he is not getting a good seal when latching. I think this is how he is dealing with the flow. I have been pumping some off so he doesn't get that initial burst of milk but that doesn't seem to help. He will latch a little, but otherwise it is slurpy and he continuously comes of the breast. Surprisingly, he is draining my breast but it is taking longer that usual and it is starting to not feel good on my nipples. I am terrified because I have been dealing with sore nipples all along and just when they got better this is happening. I was ready to throw in the towel last night, I was so frustrated. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him back to his old latch? I don't want to give in but when he slurps it is kind of like someone running their fingernails down a chalkboard, not pleasant at all. I am starting to think that the universe does not want me to nurse this baby! Please help me!!
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom

Default Re: Please help, 6 week old slurping nipple in/out of mouth

My first thought is that his latch sounds shallow. Does he still do this even if he is latched on nice and deep? Maybe if your letdown is a bit much for him right now, you can catch it in a towel and offer him your breast when it slows down and make sure he is on there really well.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Hmm, I'm wondering if IV antibiotics could have caused the thrush to reappear in the baby's mouth. Discomfort from thrush could make him change his latching behavior. And if he has thrush... Maybe that could be causing the sore nipples?

I was on the lookout for the thrush but so far his mouth looks clear. He did nurse better the last time I nursed him so I am thinking he may just be exhausted and not wanting to put alot of effort into it if he is able to get what he wants doing it his own way. Hopefully within the next few days he will improve even more. If not, we have been advised to try a nipple shield. I am going to try and avoid this as I know it poses its own problems.
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom