Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help figuring out what I have...

Default Need help figuring out what I have...

So I can correct it. Here's the situation.

I use a nipple shield to nurse 8 week old DS. We started using the shield in the hospital because he wasn't latching and I was getting frustrated. I think my nipples are too small for him to grip onto (but I know he can do it...i've seen him) and especially now that he is used to the shield (which is huge compared to my nipple). He chokes 'occasionally' on the milk in the beginning when we are using the shield. I have been trying to take the shield off or start without the shield and when he's hungry, he latches on amazingly...except he starts gulping after a few seconds and then sputters and chokes. I cannot feel when I am having a let down so how do I know if I have a heavy letdown or not? I want to be able to go shield free, but he is getting mad at the choking so I always resort back to the shield. What does this sound like to you guys? I want to be able to fix this problem and be shield free soon

Also, I don't spray...I pour out. I noticed while I was very full and getting in the shower that my milk was just streaming down my breast and stomach in a huge thick stream, but not spraying. I know that spraying is a sign of overactive letdown, but this seems like more milk than a spray. Does that sound right?
    Last edited by @llli*MaMaMahler; March 29th, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: forgot to put his age*

Default Re: Need help figuring out what I have...

Whether it sprays or gushes, it definitely sounds like it could be overactive let down! This is something that babies generally grow into with time - they learn to handle the fast flow. The nipple shield could be helping your baby handle the flast flow by adding an extra barrier, which is why it's worse when you take it off. That said, I would just keep trying without the shield. Have you tried letting your milk spray ... I mean, gush ... into a towel and then latching him back on? What about starting the session with the shield and then taking it off when the flow slows down? Keep experimenting. I think you're on the right track here.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Here's a good article on overactive letdown. It is completely managable. I've had it with all three of mine. I block feed my babies. Block Feeding helps a lot.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Just be careful because block feeding can reduce your supply. While it's most common that women have both OALD and oversupply, sometimes you can have OALD without O/S. And since you're using a nipple shield, which can reduce supply too ... just be careful.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Im super paranoid to do block feeding because that messed up my sister's supply. I just want to wean off the shield...that's all lol...thanks for your advice though! I think I do have an OALD and maybe an oversupply (I was taking a supplement malunggay...oops...i'll stop that!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MaMaMahler View Post
    Im super paranoid to do block feeding because that messed up my sister's supply. I just want to wean off the shield...that's all lol...thanks for your advice though! I think I do have an OALD and maybe an oversupply (I was taking a supplement malunggay...oops...i'll stop that!)
    I think you can wean off the shield without block feeding. The fact that your baby will latch on without it sometimes is actually a GREAT sign.

First get your baby used to nursing without the shield, for even just part of a feeding. Keep switching things out, and experimenting with different ideas. Try nursing without the shield when you're not experiencing a heavy let down.

Once your baby will latch on without the shield, you may find he's more willing to try to cope with the OALD. The fact is that many BF'd babies will unlatch during OALD, regardless of whether you have a shield on. They learn that they can unlatch, let the flow slow down, and then latch back on. Later they learn to swallow fast enough to keep up with the flow.

You can call me JoMo!

8 weeks is very young yet, you guys will get the hang of it!

My dd used to have the most trouble when I was full, so I would feed alot during the day. Like more then every 2 hours.
    and at night maybe less often then that.

You might also try using a smaller shield as a transition away if you feel like the disparity in size between your nipple and the current shield is a big enough factor. I've got small nipples, and I was given a shield in the hospital that was too big - something I didn't realize until one of my nurses saw it and brought me the smaller size.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10