Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply is almost gone!

Default Milk supply is almost gone!

I've been breastfeeding my almost 10 month old and she just started sleeping through the night, approx 7-8.5 hours. Since she's starting sleeping for long periods, I only produce 1 oz during my pumping sessions, total! At this rate I'm going to have to give her formula because I don't have enough frozen stash to last. I started taking More Milk Plus but any other tips or pointers to produce more milk while I pump is appreciated.....

I need to pump at least 10-12 oz during the day to feed her while I"m at work. I've only pumped 5 oz the entire day and that's a total of 4 times pumping!
    Last edited by @llli*arog421; March 28th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Milk supply is almost gone!

I have read that oatmeal helps.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm so sorry sug, I am an exclusively ing mum myself & I have lost my supply before. I had to reinduce my lactation entirely from ground zero after having some horrible health problems that left me temporarily half paralysed from giving birth at a filthy, scummy hospital with horrid staff...ugh...
    Unfortunately I didn't know these forums existed and I am very far away from my nearest LLL group so I had to establish my milk supply from scratch via a LOT of research, blood-sweat-n-tears trial & error, and perseverence, perseverence...thankfully for my son my mother (rest her soul) was a LLL leader in her prime and so the importance of breastfeeding was stressed to me all my life, so the drive was within me and it got me there eventually! & It will for you too, just DON'T GIVE UP-fall back on your fellow mamas here when you need support, we are here for you!

To get supply up, here is what I ultimately found works best:
    -Pump for 30 min, followed by 10 min of hand expression(this will allow you to better empty your breasts-which your body will respond to by producing more milk), 6-9 times in every 24 hour period.
    -Buy ground anise seed & empty tea bags-fill the tea bags & make the tea 1-3x a day. Alternatively, to maximise results, make a meal of caraway & ground anise (which won't taste great...just add some cane sugar, honey or ect. I've expirimented with nearly every herbal galactagogue you can think of-and these work better than anything.
    -Pump at as high of a suction volume as you cn handle but no higher. Doing a suction that causes you pain and you can cause nipple trauma, which can potentially lead to infections (and therefore further hindering your milk supply)
    -Make sure you are eating well and drink plenty of water-I drink a glass of water before and a glass of water after I pump.
    -Make sure you are waking in the night to empty your breasts-because this is what you would be doing if you were feeding from the breast and the longer you go, your body will essentially think "my baby isn't eating as much, so I don't need to make as much". Expiriment to find out what your personal "storage" is-I personally do not ever let myself sleep for longer than 3.5-4 hours at the most before I wake up to express milk. I usually sleep in 2 to 3 naps throughout the day rather than one long interrupted sleep, but that doesn't work as well for everyone.
    -If you have a sexual partner, having them nurse you for a few minutes occasionally between pumpings REALLY helps.
    -Think about your baby while you are expressing-keep a photo of them nearby and imagine milk flowing from your breast, your child feeding, ect. These images really do stimulate your body's instincts to produce milk. Items of your babys' (such as clothes ect with their smell on them) may also help.

I hope these ideas can help. Hang in there mama!!!!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

can you get up even though she isnt to pump?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    can you get up even though she isnt to pump?
    Yes-
    if you can't, maybe you could invest in a quieter pump or a hand pump for night time expressions so as not to wake her.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

I feel as though this is my advice to almost everyone, because it happened to me, but you may want to make sure you aren't pregnant.

Also, don't forget the simple things, like trouble shooting your pump. What kind do you use?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Jeno: you crack me up. I chuckle whenever I see that comment

I'd definitely second checking your pump and trying to get in a session or two while she's sleeping. I can't find any reference right now - maybe it was a podcast I heard - but I seem to recall hearing that pumping output commonly dips around 10 months. I have no idea why, and I don't really even know if it's true. Helpful, huh?

That said, I do know that output dipping over time is pretty common, since the pump isn't as effective as your baby. Combine that with sttn, and you may have ended up with the perfect storm for a big supply hit (in your particular case, obviously).

Could you potentially take a "nursing vacation"? If not, have you considered taking a weeked to nurse, nurse, nurse? And nurse some more? It might help build your supply back up.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I tried nursing her as much as I could this weekend. I work 4 days a week so I'm home with her F-Sun and we nursed every 2-3 hours. I was hoping that was going to help my supply.

I actually woke up in the middle of the night last night to pump, but I only got 1.5 oz then. I'm going to keep pumping and nursing her. She doesn't seem to have a problem feeding, she's not fussy or fighting for the milk so maybe my body isn't responding to the pump? I have a Medela Pump in style advanced.

I'm on BC so I don't think I'm pregnant, no signs of pregnancy either.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I"l be a pumping fool these next couple of weeks!

I have two more thoughts:

- Do you think you could get her to nurse more often than that? When I'm trying to increase my supply, I try to get miss baby to nurse every hour if I can

- What are you doing/thinking about when you pump? Are you watching the bottles and worrying about how much you're going to be able to get? If so, you might try to focus on something else entirely. I used to focus on my pumping, my baby, the level of expressed milk in the bottles, etc., and was frequently disappointed with my output. I tried doing the opposite and got it out of my mind as much as possible - increased my output considerably by doing this. If that's what you're doing already, you might try switching to the other tactic and seeing what happens.

Good luck
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arog421 View Post
    I actually woke up in the middle of the night last night to pump, but I only got 1.5 oz then.
    That's actually pretty good. Remember that your evening/middle of the night sessions are going to have less milk, so getting 1.5oz is really just gravy. The important thing is that it's telling your body to ramp up production the following morning.

Have you replaced those little white membrane thingies in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Jeno: you crack me up. I chuckle whenever I see that comment
    I feel like I'm the "pee on a stick" girl around here. It took us 1.5 years to get preg w/ #1, but I still shouldn't have been TOO shocked to discover that unprotected sex can get you in a family way.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos