Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: twins refusing bottles while in care of others

Default twins refusing bottles while in care of others

My 10 month old twins have started refusing to eat their bottles when they are staying with my Grandma. Yes, my 70 year old grandma takes care of my twins 2 days a week. She is a wonderful woman.
    When they are with their other day care provider, which is just a friend who watches them they eat 3-4 oz bottles a day plus cereal and fruit in the morning and a jar of baby food a piece at lunch. she also gives yogurt occasionally too. She is always talking about how they really need more to eat in their bottles because they act so hungry.
    My Grandma keeps them and she cant get them to eat more than 2-4 oz bottles a day. They are not nursing anymore on the days she is watching them.
    What in the world could be wrong with them? I have smelled and tasted the milk and it's just fine. Normally it is just from the day before anyway. I could understand if it had been thawed milk or sat in the fridge a few days, but it is fresh.
    I'm afraid my boys arent eating enough!

Default Re: twins refusing bottles while in care of others

Maybe try a sippy cup instead. This might be a good reason to go ahead and transition to a cup anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it if they are nursing well @ home and having good pees/poops.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Depending on how long you're gone during the day 2 4oz bottles is actually plenty. The general rule is 1-1.5 oz for every hour you are gone. And if they are eating some solids you can get by with even less.

My daughter started refusing bottles right around a year old. Well, she was just over a year so I didn't worry too much about it I just figured she was relieving me of the trouble of weaning her off a bottle. I think if they are eating well on other days and nursing well, and eating a good amount of solids I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you are getting plenty of wet diapers and you aren't seeing any drop in weight or anything like that I'd just let it ride.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It sounds okay to me too, but the way to know is their output and weight gain, along with their overall contentedness and energy. It is a perfect time to introduce a cup too. We use Doidy cups after getting a recommendation here, they're great (NAYY).

Do you notice LOs are more hungry the evening or the day after they visit Grandma?

Does Grandma offer them (baby-led) solids? Often babies will eat if they can explore it and touch with with their fingers. At ten months, how about banana chunks in long rectangular sections (not cut in coin-shaped pieces, which are a choking hazard)? My DD also liked munching on rice cake sections, which admittedly aren't calorie-dense but she will spend contented time time in her booster seat chair while I cook the meal. Avocado? Ten-mo's can have a pretty wide variety of foods...
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

yeah I think that's pretty normal for alot of kids.
    Are they sleeping all night for you?

They love eating the puffs, but we havent done a lot of finger foods because they are just getting the pincher grasp mastered. They are 2 months premature, so we are a little behind on development. Are there any other foods I should be letting them experiment with?
    I don't notice them eating anymore on the days that Grandma has them. They tend to be in better moods when she keeps them actually.
    they went for a checkup last week and each had gained at least a pound. One was actually a little more than a pound.
    As far as sleeping through the night. One sleeps from 8-5 and the other sleeps from 8-2 and then is up again at 4 and up for the day at 6:30-7:00. He had an ear infection a month ago and hasn't slept all night since.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyfingerfood.htm

My son was a little motor delayed, so he had a late pincer grasp as well. There was no way I was going to be able to keep food from him though. Starting around 8-9 mos, he wouldn't let us spoon feed him, so it was finger food or nothing
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos