Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Colic Calm question

Default Colic Calm question

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this so if not I am sorry, only have a couple minutes here. We got the Colic Calm for my son because he has been having a very hard time with gas, and it has been keeping him awake at night. First night we tried it was last night and unfortunately that was the worst night we have had. Poor thing spent a couple hours screaming bloody blue murder. After which he slept for 3 hours, which is a lot for him, maybe because he spent so much energy on crying.

Anyone else have any experience like this? I'm not sure if I should be worried that it was some sort of an allergic reaction or what. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Colic Calm question

We never had that issue with the Colic Calm. In fact, it usually put my DS to sleep in a matter of 5 minutes or so. Maybe your LO has a sensitivity to something in it?? My LC suggested another gripe water called Baby Bliss. Maybe try that one instead? It doesn't have all the same ingredients and she told me lots of her clients use it with great success.

Are you laying him down at an angle at all? We have our Pack n Play propped up at about a 40 degree angle for him which seems to be helping his reflux.

I feel your pain momma- we've had some really rough nights where we've tried everything (and I do mean everything!!) and we just couldnt seem to comfort him. Keep pushing through
    Keegan: February 27, 2011
    6 lbs, 14 oz & 19 inches long

Brennan: November 18, 2012
    7lbs, 4oz & 20 inches long

I'm wondering if my lo has reflux...what are you lo's symptoms?
    mom to 3 breastfed children...

J - 11 years old, my creative and outgoing son
    M - 7 years old, my caring and beautiful girl
    E - my miracle baby girl -born on Valentine's Day 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kakdoyle View Post
    We never had that issue with the Colic Calm. In fact, it usually put my DS to sleep in a matter of 5 minutes or so. Maybe your LO has a sensitivity to something in it?? My LC suggested another gripe water called Baby Bliss. Maybe try that one instead? It doesn't have all the same ingredients and she told me lots of her clients use it with great success.

Are you laying him down at an angle at all? We have our Pack n Play propped up at about a 40 degree angle for him which seems to be helping his reflux.

I feel your pain momma- we've had some really rough nights where we've tried everything (and I do mean everything!!) and we just couldnt seem to comfort him. Keep pushing through
    Thank you. We seem to be doing better with it. I think maybe he either had a bit to much or his little belly was just too full because he had it after eating. Giving him less of a dose now and before he nurses.
    We do have his pack n play propped up too, seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jme View Post
    I'm wondering if my lo has reflux...what are you lo's symptoms?
    My LO was very gassy most of the time. He would pull his legs up, arch his back, and cry until he worked out the gas with or without our help. He was spitting up after a lot of his meals. Once he spit up, he would cry and seem to be uncomfortable. He would often eat and then start fussing at the breast. It seemed like he wanted more and he was still hungry, but leaving him on or trying to get him to relatch only made it worse. We actually didnt know he had reflux until the doc recommended an upper GI. I was scared to death, but we actually saw the reflux as the radiologist was taking pictures of his belly.

Kakdoyle what are you giving your LO for a dose of the Colic Calm. Seems hard to fing a good in between because the full dose for under 20 pounds was a bit much for my little guy I think.

We give him 0.5 mL's most of the time. If he's super gassy and really uncomfortable we'll up it a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kakdoyle View Post
    We give him 0.5 mL's most of the time. If he's super gassy and really uncomfortable we'll up it a little bit.
    Oh great we have been giving right around that too
    the dark poopies sort of freaked me out for a day or two though