Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on?!

Default What is going on?!

My LO is 3 months old tomorrow and we have had some issues previously, but I had thought we were working through them. He is always gassy/spitty so we had an upper gi series done, and he was diagnosed with reflux and put on Prilosec. Well, I thought things were starting to look up. But, now we seem to be back into the same old routine. He is screaming out bloody murder, he is crying real tears and he is kicking up a storm like he is trying to work gas out of his system or something. I cannot put him down or he cries and cries and cries. Literally, I cannot put him down. I do not even get a chance to go to the bathroom during the day, it is that bad. I do not know what to do. We have tried everything, but I am certainly open to other thoughts/suggestions. Thank you.

Default Re: What is going on?!

have you tried changing your diet? I had to cut out milk and milk products and gas-producing foods and it really made a big difference for us.

I would get a baby carrier. I like my Ergo. That could help you atleast use the restroom. I'd try some baby gas ex and see if it helps.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I would get a baby carrier. I like my Ergo. That could help you atleast use the restroom. I'd try some baby gas ex and see if it helps.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

When you say he sounds like he's trying to work gas out of his system, does he manage it? I guess I'm asking if you actually HEAR a lot of gas passing...poops normal in appearance?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I can hear it in his belly, he has trouble getting it out. His poops appear to be fine. He goes every few days, all yellow and seedy, watery. No mucous. The pediatrician said his crying is making him suck in air which is then making him gassy, but I really do not think this is the case. I can hear the stuff moving around inside him, and then he loses it and begins screaming. Some days are better than others. He seems much better today, but I am still heartbroken because I feel so helpless!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahandjack View Post
    I can hear it in his belly, he has trouble getting it out. His poops appear to be fine. He goes every few days, all yellow and seedy, watery. No mucous. The pediatrician said his crying is making him suck in air which is then making him gassy, but I really do not think this is the case. I can hear the stuff moving around inside him, and then he loses it and begins screaming. Some days are better than others. He seems much better today, but I am still heartbroken because I feel so helpless!
    Wanting to help your hurting baby and not being able to sucks, plain and simple

So he got better with the introduction of Prilosec, but then became unhappy again? Out of curiosity, have you looked into appropriate dosing for Prilosec? Also, what sort of form do the meds take?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Wanting to help your hurting baby and not being able to sucks, plain and simple

So he got better with the introduction of Prilosec, but then became unhappy again? Out of curiosity, have you looked into appropriate dosing for Prilosec? Also, what sort of form do the meds take?
    We had to keep adjusting our dose as our son grew. Although, trapped gas was not part of his reflux. It seemed to be more related to food.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

The prilosec is 4 ml three times a day. It is the most rancid smelling liquid I have ever smelled. The spit up is definitely better, and you're right, the gas is probably unrelated. I am just trying to figure out what to eliminate from my diet...

This may sound weird, but did you start drinking coffee, even decaf? My son did the same thing when I went back to work, and I realized I started drinking coffee again. I cut it out, and things were better. I tried cutting lots of other stuff out first, found very little on websites about coffee, even decaf, being a problem. So I thought I'd mention it.