Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One breast per feeding session??

Default One breast per feeding session??

I'm sure this has been addressed a million times over, but I just wanted to see where you experienced breastfeeding moms stand...

Ashelyn will only feed on one breast per feeding session and this worries me a little. For the first week and a half (she's 2 weeks today) she would feed from both breasts at most feeding sessions. But, for the past 4 or 5 days, she will only feed on one breast at a time. Sometimes the sessions last 10 - 15 minutes or sometimes 20 - 30 minutes. Once she's done on the one breast (she falls asleep while feeding), that's it until she feeds again.

I worry about the fact that each breast will go several hours between feedings. Does that make sense? i.e. she feeds on the left breast for 15 minutes, then is done for 2 hours. After the 2-3 hours, she will feed 20 minutes or so on the right breast. Then another 2-3 hours until the left breast again. Therefore, the left breast goes up to 5-6 hours between feedings. I don't want my supply to dwindle because we go so long between feedings like that. And I would rather not have to pump the other breast after she finishes the first one.

I have read that I should let her feed until she unlatches herself - that I shouldn't break the latch myself. But I am wondering if maybe I should break the latch after a certain amount of time so that I can try and get her onto the other breast before she gets into too deep of a sleep.

What are your opinions on this? What do you do? I am seeing an LC on Saturday AM and I will see what she says too.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all of your information!!

Default Re: One breast per feeding session??

My baby did the same thing for a little while and then just started taking only one side again recently. I asked my doctor and she said that I shouldn't pump the other side because your breasts work on supply and demand and will make more if your baby needs more, but for the time being he only wanted one side so it was fine. I also wondered if I should stop and switch but she said not to do that either because then he won't get that hind milk at the end. Hope that helps, it seemed to work for me. Eventually he started taking both sides again and seems to get enough so I don't think there is a milk supply problem.

Hi! I'm wondering if you changed her diaper in between sides that might wake her up enough to try the other side?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

my DD has only ever done one side per nursing. On the very rare occasion she's taken both sides, but I could probably count all those times on one hand. We've never had any problems & she's remained 50th percentile since birth. If your LO's hungry, she'll ask for the other side, but if not, don't worry Plus, if she's nursing from only one side at a time, she's probably getting plenty of the nutrient- and fat-rich hindmilk. As far as your body and comfort are concerned, in my experience there's been no problem. Except the occasional lopsided look we've had no continual engorgement or discomfort at all. In fact, I think I prefer this way as it gives my nipples a 5 to 6 hour break!

Hey, even if it's been addressed a jillion times, never hesitate to post a concern. Chances are good that other people have the same question!

HTH!

Evin

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember a leader saying once that ideally, one side should be like a complete meal, offering the benefits of the foremilk and hindmilk fully. As long as the output is good and baby is meeting all the milestones, I wouldn't be concerned!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My dd also nurses mostly from one side and has all along. We usually only go back and forth for cluster feeding before bedtime and for a growth spurt. I never worried too much about one breast going way to long. I just expected that my body would adjust to her needs and haven't had any problems. The only time I am engorged is in the morning b/c she sleeps through the night.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My DS has always been on one-sided feedings. I had problems with oversupply, so feeding on one side was the only way he'd get to the hindmilk. He's 4.5 months now, and he still does great with one-sided feedings.

I think once your milk is fully established, there shouldn't be a problem with one-side feedings. Just remember that there are some moms who feed their babies on one side, and never switch to the other side - EVER - and those babies do just fine, too!

Hello,

My son is 3 months old and he rarely nurses on both sides. Occasionally he will in the evenings when he's cluster feeding before bed, or during a growth spurt.

I asked a LC about this before too and they said not to worry, when babies nurse that way often indicate that you have a wonderful supply. If the baby was still hungry, they'd surely let you know. My litttle one did so during a growth spurt, after he was finished with one side he would un-latch and I mistakingly kept putting him to the same breast just out of habit, then I had one of the "duh" moments and offered the other side which he happily nursed on for 15 minutes more!

So, for us that's our pattern too but I always offer the other side if I can (ie: he's not passed out asleep with a 'milk belly' as we call it ;-) A PP mentioned to change their diaper which I also try, sometimes he decides he'll take more or cuddle nurse for a bit.

Make sure you look for usual things output, etc. and I'm sure your LO is probably gaining fine too.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

my DD has only ever done one side per nursing. On the very rare occasion she's taken both sides, but I could probably count all those times on one hand. We've never had any problems & she's remained 50th percentile since birth. If your LO's hungry, she'll ask for the other side, but if not, don't worry Plus, if she's nursing from only one side at a time, she's probably getting plenty of the nutrient- and fat-rich hindmilk. As far as your body and comfort are concerned, in my experience there's been no problem. Except the occasional lopsided look we've had no continual engorgement or discomfort at all. In fact, I think I prefer this way as it gives my nipples a 5 to 6 hour break!
    I had the exact same response. That is our same story.

Both my kids only ever nursed on one side at a time... I wouldn't worry at all about it.