Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not yet 6 months...

Default Not yet 6 months...

So my LO turned 5 months about 10 days ago. We weren't planning to introduce solids to him until 6 months. He is breastfed (no formula) from the breast and from bottles. (I work full-time.)

The past two weeks, he has been waking up every single hour after bedtime (8:30PM) SCREAMING. I try to nurse him back to sleep and he's just PISSED and he won't take the nipple. Last week, we made a bit of progress by introducing a good routine, which included music, rocking, nursing for a few minutes, feeding a 4 ounce bottle and then nursing again (he's a distracted nurser and he's not getting a full 4 ounces before bed so we're bottle feeding him. I pump immediately after he drifts off to sleep.). This put him to sleep for at least 4 hours and then he'd wake up one more time before morning. Perfect! Or so I thought...Saturday comes and we're right back to the same situation...despite the full routine....last night I slept a total of 1 hour if you add all my "naps" between wakings up .... It's killing me. I can't function on 1 hour of sleep at a full-time job.

In an act of desperation, my husband thinks we should try to introduce solids to him tonight to see if the fullness helps him to sleep through most of the night. My lack of sleep is becoming life threatening now since I find myself falling asleep behind the wheel often...and nodding off at my desk at work...and he just wants to get him to sleep so I have some relief and get some sleep.

My question is: Will the introduction of solids really help him sleep longer? Or is that a young wives tale???

For the record, I've tried side-laying position and he screams everytime I lay him on the bed. (He seems partial to inclined surfaces and seems to HATE laying down flat.)

Thoughts?

Default Re: Not yet 6 months...

I don't think solids are the answer here. It sounds to me like your LO could be teething or have an ear infection- especially the part about not wanting to lay flat.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I had the reverse happen with solids, more waking due to tummy trying to handle new input. it evened out eventually, but dont think that's the solution to your problem. about maybe ear infection or teething? we've had a few nights like that in a row but it never lasted very long.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Sorry, I don't think introducing solids will help your LO STTN either. Made no difference with my first DS. I also think it could be teeth or ear infection. Sorry mama, I feel your pain about the sleep deprivation
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Well, I missed a night on LLLI and didn't see your replies until this morning. We did try a bit of brown rice cereal with breastmilk on Monday night and he didn't like it. We gave it to him on the spoon and he took it, but didn't seem too thrilled with it. I gave him maybe three spoons and then we thought to put it in a bottle and tried feeding him the bottle, which after a few sips he refused. He did, however, sleep better Monday night but I think it was also that I co-slept with him for a part of the night.

We considered teething or an ear ache. My husband thinks that if he had an ear ache, he would be constantly crying instead of just crying at random times. I think he's teething too, though nothing has broken through. I tried giving him a cold teether and he wasn't interested.

Despite co-sleeping again last night, things took a turn for the worse and last night - though I still slept more than an hour - was hard as he was up again once every hour.

I love waking up after nights like this, going on Facebook and having another mother post that their 4 month old "slept 8 hours through the night last night"....Ugh.

I was thinking teething or ear infection too. both of which could cause crying at random times. I knew my DD had an ear infection because she refused to nurse. She didn't cry all the time, just trying to nurse. Maybe try some tylenol? A trip to the ped? She also would not sleep at all when she was teething. It was really rough.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

You should NOT put cereal in a bottle. Milk in cereal is OK but not cereal in a bottle. It's both a choking and an aspiration hazard. I also vote teeth. OFTEN when children are teething laying flat causes them pain. It's also generally the culprit when night waking increases to the point of resentment. I'd just give in and plan to co-sleep if you are working. Babies teething are babies in pain. And having continue access to the breasts and the oxctocin that you secrete when feeding actually provides them with pain relief as well as comfort.

Way too lazy for formula

co-sleeping kept my sanity during that time. My DD liked/likes to use my arm as a pillow. Maybe that will help if your LO doesn't like to lay flat
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby