Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning pump

Default Cleaning pump

Hi!

I've got 2 pumps, one manual Pigeon and one (new) Medela mini electric. I actually sterilize my Pigeon parts everytime I get home. I know it's not necessary but I'm not brave enough to not do it .

However at work we don't even have hot water (I guess you don't really need it when it's 35.5°C out there), so everytime I need to clean it I heat some water in the microwave, or bring a thermo with really hot water from home. I was planning on leaving the Medela pump at the office, I'd better brave up.

Is it really necessary to do hot water???? Can I just clean it with cold soapy water?

For how long did you sterilize stuff??
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: Cleaning pump

I EPed for 13 months and I always only rinsed my parts out with hot water and left them to air dry (if there was enough time between pumps). I almost never sterilized them unless I came home from somewhere that was dirty, like pumping in the airport bathroom or something like that. I never even used soap to rinse out the pump parts with (bottles I do). Every week I would use qtips and these little Dr. Browns pipe cleaners to make sure all of the buildup was gone. My baby never got sick and I donated 9000 oz of milk to other babies and the never were anything but healthy and growing.. I also used to leave my breast milk in a bottle over night on the counter for my babies morning feed and when she got older, sometimes the milk would be left out for 14+ hours and it was fine.
    When I was in NICU I asked the nurse where I could sterilize my parts and bottles and she said it wasn't needed unless your baby had immunity issues or you were in somewhere with lots of bad germs that your pump and bottles could come into contact with!!
    Milk is an amazing thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much..

You can get the Medela wipes and wipe things down between pumpings. If you have a microwave at work, you can use the Medela steam bags to sterilize.

That said...I rinse things out. Sometimes. Usually, I just stick everything in the fridge and leave it and use the same things a couple times. But if I don't stick it in the fridge, it's still OK.

I only do a major wash of everything morning and night, and I pump every 2-3 hours around the clock. And it's all ok.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I guess I'll have to stop being a cleaning freak ... Thank you for the advices
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Glad to see this thread. I'm another one who only rinses (will wash every evening or so, but I usually don't dismantle that often), and I was halfway wondering if I was being a cavalier daredevil with my baby's health
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10