Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just need a little pick me up.

Default Just need a little pick me up.

So, I've been happily nursing on demand (and co-sleeping, so nursing several times through the night) for nearing 11 months, and it's been delightful in every way. But lately I'm noticing that it's feeling more... like a chore, I guess. He's always so distracted (the on-off-on-off is incredibly annoying and a bit painful), biting a lot more, kicking me in the groin at night, thrashing around, etc. I mean, this is generally a pretty mellow kid. It's just that I feel like the nursing is more of a wrestling match these days. Especially at night trying to get him to go down.

He's still totally into nursing, and so am I, so definitely not ready to throw in the towel. I guess I'm just disappointed that something that has been so great is less so these days.
    First time mom to Rob, born 5/4/10.

I thought I was a breastfeeding advocate before I had a baby.... now I've realized I'm a breastfeeding nut! A supporter, defender, shout-it-from-the-rooftop crazy lady!

Default Re: Just need a little pick me up.

Every nursing relationship has its ups and downs. I hope this is just a temporary dip, Mama. At the very least, soon your LO will be old enough to start assimilating nursing manners. I have an 11 month old, too, and I think you can start with some classical conditioning for the biting issue. Baby bites = nursing session ends.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Every nursing relationship has its ups and downs. I hope this is just a temporary dip, Mama. At the very least, soon your LO will be old enough to start assimilating nursing manners. I have an 11 month old, too, and I think you can start with some classical conditioning for the biting issue. Baby bites = nursing session ends.
    The extremely distractible phase often ends around a year, and then you'll be dealing with a kid who wants to park himself in your lap and nurse FOR HOURS. It's always something.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the death grip he likes to keep on my other nipple- that's the real wrestling match. Sigh...

Anyway, thanks for the wisdom. I know it will change, but nice to hear from others.
    First time mom to Rob, born 5/4/10.

I thought I was a breastfeeding advocate before I had a baby.... now I've realized I'm a breastfeeding nut! A supporter, defender, shout-it-from-the-rooftop crazy lady!

I had to make a "only one nursie at a time" rule. I cannot stand having both of them played with at once!

Do you think it might help to get a little more physical distance at night? A sidecarred crib would let you still co-sleep, still nurse on demand without fully waking up, but free you from the kicking and fiddling.

It DOES get better! Really.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I had to make a "only one nursie at a time" rule. I cannot stand having both of them played with at once!
    I am all about the no twiddling rule! I keep the unused breast covered at all times. No access = no twiddling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I am all about the no twiddling rule! I keep the unused breast covered at all times. No access = no twiddling.
    And when I'm awake, I firmly remove the twiddling hand. Joe was a terrible twiddler, although he seems to be growing out of it finally! For a long time, he wouldn't twiddle during the day, but I'd feel this warm little hand sneaking into my bra at night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    And when I'm awake, I firmly remove the twiddling hand. Joe was a terrible twiddler, although he seems to be growing out of it finally! For a long time, he wouldn't twiddle during the day, but I'd feel this warm little hand sneaking into my bra at night.
    re the warm little hand. Yup. Max only twiddles when he's sleepy/sleeping. And makes me feel sick to my stomach.
    We went through a pretty rough patch between 10-12 months, and now at 15 months (omg!!) it's all good. Really.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it