Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self-feeding?

Default Self-feeding?

My little girl is 9 and 1/2 months old. She is definitely tired of being spoon fed & seems more interested in finger foods. She is not interested in feeding herself. She will play with the food but wait for me to feed her. When did your LO self feed? Anything I should be doing? Thank you!

Default Re: Self-feeding?

My 7 month old daughter has similar issues. She gets tired of the spoon and is much more interested in chunks of foods but wants me to be the one to actually get it into her mouth! She gets frustrated (and noisy) when I don't feed her and encourage her to feed herself. It's funny yet frustrating at the same time. She's definitely not up to spoon-feeding herself yet, so all of her self-feeding is finger foods only.

What we've done for her is to offer up a variety of interesting shapes, textures, and flavors. While she's poking around at things, some invariably end up being tasted and then sometimes actually eaten. For us it's just a patience game of letting her try things. We still do a lot of the feeding, but each day she gets a bit more into her mouth on her own so we're making progress.

Some of the things that she likes best thus far are sticks of steamed sweet potatoes, pieces of banana (I separate the banana into thirds lengthwise along the breaks and give her long sticks of it), cauliflower and broccoli florets, and chunky hard breadsticks. These things may not actually get consumed all the time, but she's happy giving them a try.

Good luck!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    My little girl is 9 and 1/2 months old. She is definitely tired of being spoon fed & seems more interested in finger foods. She is not interested in feeding herself. She will play with the food but wait for me to feed her. When did your LO self feed? Anything I should be doing? Thank you!
    I think you are doing great.. she is learning.. so let her play with her food give her a spoon and a fork and let her learn.. they learn from us too.. so feeding them or even watching us eats.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Thanks, all. She's still wanting me to feed her. She does pick up the spoon sometimes & puts food in her mouth. I've decided to just roll with it & wait patiently until she's ready to feed herself.