Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to increase nutrition for my picky 15mo?

Default How to increase nutrition for my picky 15mo?

Long time no see everyone! I've been absent from here for a few months but have an issue that I know you smart mamas will have some advice for me on.

DD2 is 15mo. She still nurses to bed and typically 2x's during the night. She drinks cow's milk during the day. She is the pickiest eater ever! She'll eat dry, crunchy carbs, yogurt, and purees. If it isn't dry and crunchy she will not self-feed it. No fruits or veggies unless they are from a jar. She'll sometimes eat meat but often rejects it. She won't eat cheese. Having her exist on crackers, waffles, and booty has me so stressed out. Oh she will eat banana (if it's in the peel still like a big kid...not cut up) and applesauce (but really, that's a puree). At her 15mo check up the ped strongly encourage me to quit the purees, and I have this week, but now I'm worried about a lack of balanced nutrition. She's in daycare weekdays and I have to send in breakfast and lunch and it's a struggle daily to figure out what to send in since I know she'll reject 90% of it. Should I just go back to making purees available along with continuing to introduce other finger foods? Or do I need to stick with the current plan a little longer and see if she warms up to other foods? Is nursing her 3x's a day enough nutrition?

With DD1 by this age she was living on cheesey foods and I thought at the time that my child couldn't exist on cheese alone. Now I'd give anything for DD2 to take a bite of cheese LOL!

Oh, and I don't think it is a sensory thing. She doesn't gag on foods and has in the past eaten cottage cheese, soups, stews, etc but has flat out rejected them for the past month or so. She also has all of her baby teeth.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: How to increase nutrition for my picky 15mo?

What I've heard from several people is that you sometimes have to offer a food up to 15 times fora child to like it. So I would just keep trying.

My LO is 15 mos too and some days he'll eat certain things and other days he wont eat those things, but I keep offering them regardless. And I don't make a million options at a time, either, because I think that'll make him more picky, kwim?

I don't get worked up about him not having a perfect meal because I know he'll make up for it next time if he's hungry.

Does she eat a lot of snacks? I would say if she does, especially in the form of crunchy salty carbs, i would cut way back on that. I think a lot of kids would prefer that kind of thing, and if it's offered all the time they know they don't have to eat fruits and veggies to get full, kwim?

I'm lucky bc DS would prefer fruits and veggies over anything, even a cookie. BUT he can still be picky. I sometimes do the same foods prepared differently, too. Avocado i slice onto a wheat quesadilla with cheese and black beans and grill it in a wrap with tomatoes - he loves that because it's gooey and warm and messy.

or whole wheat noodles with tomato sauce and turkey burger? Super messy and fun to eat.

And keep trying over and over with the same fruits and veggies. My son LOVES to eat whole pears. And whole green apples. Loves asparagus. But i know everyone's different. It took him a while to like some of the things he likes now. He wouldn't eat broccoli for a long time. Nowhe loves it. It's all about persistence - because you have to be if you want your kid to be eating healthy. And processed carbs just aren't that healthy (unfortunately!!).

I guess I would agree with your doctor about the pureed stuff. The longer you keep giving her that, th harder it is going to be for you to get her to eat real food.

Nursing 3-5x a day is enough milk, but at this age babies really need to be getting at least a bit of additional nutrients from food.

have you tried a lot of beans? Beans are great
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I wish she'd eat beans. We've tried red, black, white, chickpeas, edemame. Throws them off her tray. She won't eat toast. Won't eat any type of pasta/noodles/rice.

If we put just some cooked veggies, meat, and dices of soft fruit on her tray she throws them off and then cries hysterically. We give in to saltines, veggie booty, etc or else she literally won't have eaten anything. She'll eat cereal, dried fruit in cereal (like special k red berries), she'll eat all types of booty, all types of cracker, puffs, etc. She'll eat the crusty outer part of a bagel but not the doughy part. She used to eat fish and nitrate free lunch meat but rejects it now. She won't let us near her mouth with new foods on a spoon/fork and if put on her tray they go on the floor. She won't even try them at all. She won't touch jams, jellies, ketchup, any type of dip. One day she ate the veggie soup I was eating but hasn't touched it sense. One day she ate the lamb stew DH cooked, veggies, meat, all of it, but hasn't touched it sense. Used to love organic chicken nuggets but rejected them for a long time, now just starting to come back to them. I've tried fruits and veggies raw and cooked but she rejects them either way. I pretty much have to bank on banana, applesauce, and yogurt for her nutrition (along with BM of course).

The child is an enigma!!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Eggs? Scrambled? Boiled? Egg salad?

Tough situation mama
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    Eggs? Scrambled? Boiled? Egg salad?

Tough situation mama
    I wish. I do keep trying eggs. Haven't tried hard boiled yet...

Oh and to make it harder, she's in a daycare classroom with another child with a very severe dairy and soy allergy so lunches have to be dairy/soy free. Not that my child will eat cheese, but it does eliminate sending in many of our dinner leftovers that often have milk, cheese or some other dairy in them.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

well, i really think there's truth to the idea that you have to keep trying the same foods. I'd rather eat veggie booty than cooked carrots too, and if they're both sitting in front of me, i know which i'll choose!

There was a good story about this repetition on npr a couple of weeks ago, i'll see if i can find it.

are you supplementing with vitamins for what she's not getting through diet?

She's getting daily poly-vi-sol. Not sure if there's something better?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Since it sounds like a texture thing, do you think she just likes the feel of crunchy things on her teeth?

What about potatoes? Sweet potatoes are good and you can bake them, fry them, make into fries themselves. Pancakes? You can even make zucchini pancakes. French toast and waffles can be a good breakfast. Cereal bars? There are some really good organic choices out there. What about frozen fruit? Frozen grapes are good. I'm surprised about the toast. That's pretty much just like a cracker. My LO likes rye toast. Ever try that?

What else....I'll keep thinking...
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Good suggestions. I have thought about sweet potato fries but haven't tried them yet and the suggestion for zucchini in things is great too. We have a waffle maker and a griddle so I need to find some recipes that sneak veggies into them.

I have tried frozen fruit but that's a no go. DD1 on the other hand would eat frozen blueberries until she turned purple!

We have the Earth's Best cereal bars and she's very hit and miss with those (more miss than hit).

I keep thinking I should by a freeze drier and just everything into chips LOL!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

i'm not sure either. I don't give mine anything but vit. D