Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sudden decrease in milk supply

Default sudden decrease in milk supply

Hi everyone I need some advice or answers. I have been successfully breastfeeding my almost 4 month old now with no lack of milk supply then recently my supply dropped suddenly. I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for my pump. I was pumping 4 oz. each breast. now it's less than half that and I don't feel the letdown.

My thought was it could be from taking the pill i have been trying different ones the latest was called: Junel FE a substitution for Loestrin FE

So I stopped taking it 4 days ago.

If the birthcontrol was the problem when will my milk come back? I am desperate and am running out of my frozen milk.

Thanks

Default Re: sudden decrease in milk supply

oh also if there are other reasons for a sudden decrease in milk supply could someone list some causes ...

Thanks

It might sort itself out with the change in your pill, but I don't really know that much about BC pills and lactation...sorry

The usual suspects are things like not drinking enough water (and some women, myself included, find that in order to keep supply up, they need to drink a LOT), not consuming enough calories (you should be having 1800 at the bare minimum - I'd shoot for higher), baby nursing less due to distractibility, baby nursing less due to sleeping through the night, pump not working efficiently, stress, etc. Any change on one of these fronts recently?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

The pill certainly could be at fault for the decrease in supply. If so, your supply should bounce back to adequate levels provided you are nursing on demand, or that you are willing to pump more often and for longer periods until you get your supply up where it needs to be.

Are you exclusively pumping, combining nursing and pumping, or mostly nursing and just pumping once in a while?

ETA: Common reasons for decrease in supply include:
    - return of menstrual cycle
    - normal adjustment of milk supply to meet baby's needs very precisely, without a lot of extra left over
    - skipping feedings
    - trying to stretch intervals between feedings
    - pump wearing out
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; March 27th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your posts

to answer your questions not much has changed except the birth control which I have now taken myself off of.

But My daughter has started sleeping through the night but I havent I use the time I usually got up with her to pump. She eats all the time and I encourage it.

I do notice that water helps and I have been kind of forgetful about drinking LOTs of fluids, My cycle is due to come today...

hmmm I hope that this isn't due to me maybe being pregnant I did try 3 different pills ... I heard that could decrease your supply.

And I am dieting .. healthfully ... I am getting married in 7 weeks and am trying to eat less fatty foods and more excercise

I appreciate the comments I just hope my milk comes in by tomorrow or the next before I have to purchase dare I say formula.. but you have to do what you have to do right?

Thanks for all your help

So no change today I am so worried I called my doctor and couldn't get her to call me back today. I thought whatever (the pill most likely) was causing my low milk supply would have gone out of my system by now! It has been five days now...

So I am now trying to get my milk supply up My almost 4 month old is sucking all the time I am pumping with little or no outcome what else can I do or try?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*linzee78 View Post
    So no change today I am so worried I called my doctor and couldn't get her to call me back today. I thought whatever (the pill most likely) was causing my low milk supply would have gone out of my system by now! It has been five days now...

So I am now trying to get my milk supply up My almost 4 month old is sucking all the time I am pumping with little or no outcome what else can I do or try?
    Make sure you are getting enough calories. Dieting always kills my supply. Try adding 1 or more servings of oatmeal on top of what you are already eating, not instead of. You need calories to produce milk. So lots of water and lots of good for you calories!

@llli*momma4
    dh 06/26/99
    & 02/15/06
    12/08/07
    11/22/10 *still nursing*

Have you tried taking herbs like fenugreek? Did your AF come yet?
    Keep nursing and pumping
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

try taking four fenugreek three times a day, around theclock and make sure you're emptying your breasts frequently.

Have you taken a pregnancy test?

I also notice a major dip in supply when my period is about to come and then it gets back to normal soon after.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Yea I am wondering if I should take a preggie test... my milk is still low I have taken in more calories and more "good fat" calories despite my upcoming wedding my baby is more important than a dress

My doctor put me on Reglan.... after I started taking that Tuesday and it is'nt working that well

does anyone know more about Reglan and where do I find fenugreek?