Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: grunting - sign of relux?

Default grunting - sign of relux?

My six week old does a huge amount of grunting. I keep waiting for the cute baby noises, but so far she mostly grunts. I've read some places that it is a sign of reflux. She does have some reflux signs, but I'm not sure if I'm over-reacting.

At her 4 week appt - she had gaines 3 lbs and 2 inches since birth! So I know she's growing well.

I do have over-active letdown, which is worse on some days than others. I sometimes blockfeed for a few days when I notice it's bad.

She spits up sometimes (maybe once every 2-3 days). But I do notice her refluxing and swallowing maybe once a day.

She's not particularly unhappy. She has gassy spells but we can usually work it out with some tummy time, massaging, or colic holds. I bought gripe water, but have not used it yet.

I thought about calling doc, but don't really know if I'm just reading too much into it. She does sleep better on our chests (on her tummy) or propped up on the boppy - but so did my other children who had no reflux.

I guess if it weren't for her grunting, I wouldn't be thinking that much about it - because she's growing and happy most of the time. And even when she's grunting, she's generally content.

Where are the cute cooing noises?

Any thoughts?
    mom to 3 breastfed children...

J - 11 years old, my creative and outgoing son
    M - 7 years old, my caring and beautiful girl
    E - my miracle baby girl -born on Valentine's Day 2011

Default Re: grunting - sign of relux?

Not sure where they are but I am right in the same boat with you. My little boy just grunts. Only cute noises (well the grunting is kinda cute too) is when he is sleeping.

I am pretty sure that grunting is normal. My LO grunts all the time. The dr said they are exercising their vocal cords (practicing to speak) she also grunts when she has a lot of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*breeze7 View Post
    I am pretty sure that grunting is normal. My LO grunts all the time. The dr said they are exercising their vocal cords (practicing to speak) she also grunts when she has a lot of gas.
    That too

Both my babies grunted like crazy.

None of that sounds out of the ordinary to me, but if you want to ask your doctor about it, it certainly couldn't hurt. In fact, I'd recommend it if you find yourself continuing to worry. That's what doctors are for.